Afternoon gents,

Currently on the lookout for a few carpet sections to cover the gearbox tunnel (only). Called around all the usual suppliers, including Dons Hoods, but they aren't able to split carpet sets or sell individual pieces.

Would need to be black, and made of two separate sections (as pictured below), rather than the single one-piece sewn assembly of later models.

post-9548-0-66677100-1511875421_thumb.jpg

Cheers, and many thanks

Deggers

I'd be concerned about the ability, or at least careful, to match a new piece with the old. They could be significantly different in texture or color.

That said, The Roadster Factory make their own carpet kits and have done a single piece for me when needed. Kind of awkward to get from USA to UK, of course.

It would be very surprising for any primary supplier not to offer this. That they can't means you're probably talking to a reseller who's unwilling to simply ask their supplier for a different part.

There will for sure be names given by others for people who cut and sew in the UK. This is easy.

Cheers, Don. Thankfully I'm not having to be too concerned with matching new with old, as I intend to do away with the old footwell carpets altogether. They'll be replaced with rubber mats to avoid the inevitable soggy carpets whilst driving this winter. The gearbox tunnel carpet has had it's day too, but as I'd like to keep the tunnel covered, it's time for a new one.

Thanks, Iain! Funny, I'd thought of John Skinner after I'd been in touch with Dons Hoods - however, he's currently busy getting hitched :)! He'll be away on his honeymoon for the next few weeks apparently. I'll give him a bell when he returns.

Cheers chaps, Deggers

Deggers, They will need to know more about your requirements and your Commission no

TR2/3 used a 3 piece gearbox tunnel mat arrangement, TR3A on used a single cover.

The section covering the propshaft tunnel changed in length at Comm No TS60.000

What about the rear dog shelf? are you expecting to hide this with an occasional rear seat?

I too have dispensed with cabbage smelling carpets on the floors of my TR and use only gearbox, prop shaft tunnel plus diff cover area and footwell sides. Nothing save original rubber mats on the floor. The original full footwell length TR3A rubber floor mats have been reproduced by The Roadster Factory. 701237 & 701238 http://trf.zeni.net/summer17/209.php?s_wt=1440&s_ht=900

Cheers

Peter W

Scan from IPC The tunnel mats are obvious.

TR2 3 mats.pdf

A lot of useful info there, thanks Peter. The Roadster Factory rubber mats would be ideal: we have a few lengthy road trips coming up during the next few months, and I'm thinking the less carpet all round, the better. Might simply stick with the tunnel piece and propshaft. I wasn't aware the 3A's were originally fitted with rubber mats in lieu of the carpets used in 2's and 3's. A return to practicality and originality will do nicely!

Cheers, Deggers

Edited by Deggers

I use those TRF mats, but I gotta note they're not quite perfect. The fit is terrific, and the design is authentic.

I had TRF replace under warranty my driver's side mat after my heel wore a hole in the rubber within a thousand miles or fewer of driving. The rubber isn't quite as durable as it should be. Perhaps a little too soft or perhaps formulated wrong for a floor mat.

They're made in Taiwan by a long-time supplier of rubber bits to TRF.

Cheers, Don. Thankfully I'm not having to be too concerned with matching new with old, as I intend to do away with the old footwell carpets altogether. They'll be replaced with rubber mats to avoid the inevitable soggy carpets whilst driving this winter. The gearbox tunnel carpet has had it's day too, but as I'd like to keep the tunnel covered, it's time for a new one.

Thanks, Iain! Funny, I'd thought of John Skinner after I'd been in touch with Dons Hoods - however, he's currently busy getting hitched :)! He'll be away on his honeymoon for the next few weeks apparently. I'll give him a bell when he returns.

Cheers chaps, Deggers

If you have a spare piece of carpet, as a sample, you could send it to Segal Trim in Salford where they would be able to match it and send you some to make yourself, they could supply the edging trim too.

A great firm. They are at Trimcar house Blackfriars Salford.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I presume that the ingres of water that everyone seems to suffer from, me included at one time, is from a poorly fitting g/box tunnel.

I may have a solution for you. Pop down to your local B&Q and buy a roll of soft rubber P section draft excluder. Comes in a couple of sizes and has a sticky backing. Works a treat, takes up all the mismatch of the tunnel flange.

Still a fiddle of a job, but certainly worked for me.

Cheers, Peter

Thank you tom that's kind

Of you. I think we all help eachother one way or the other don't we.

Had Conrad over last week.

Getting some bits, he kindly took a tr6 crank shaft away to sell for me at stonleigh. as we are not going this year. Oh and he brought his lovely sisters with him so it wasn't all parts and cars. Hope your well

Helen

In case the problem isn’t solved, when I got around to putting in the carpets on my 3A although new they must have been eight years sitting in the original box. They were poor quality and I never bothered to find out where they came from. The gearbox tunnel carpet didn’t fit well, it had bumps and wrinkles everywhere. I had to take the lid off to look at overdrive wiring, etc. several times and each time the carpet looked worse for wear. I drove for a season without carpet on the lid and then eventually put on the old insulation pad and covered it with a scrap piece of black vinyl. I trimmed it a bit and cut the hole for the gearshift, folded over the bits and ends and glued them and with heat of the gearbox caused the vinyl to fit better than the carpet ever did. For the vinyl I think I donated the equivalent of about £2. The foot carpets were poor quality too and after reading the above I’m going to switch to rubber mats. Also, I’m going to have a tailor (he did a good, inexpensive job, patching my tonneau cover) do a more professional job on the tunnel cover, in black vinyl. It’s dark down there anyway. I will again leave enough material on the sides so that the new rubber mats can hold the edges in place. I did the drive shaft tunnel the same way.

I’ve seen quite a few restored 3’s with perfect carpeting and I admire and take pictures but I’m not careful enough to maintain that perfection for more than a few weeks. Of rain or shine driving. Usually with the top down!

Paul