Buying a tr6 in California

Hi, I'm new to these forums, and am after a bit of advice. At the moment I live in Dubai, and am planning on staying for the next 4 or5 years. I'm looking for my first tr6, it has to be a LHD to be able to drive it in the UAE, so it makes sense to me to get it from the states, with my work I get to go to California for a few days now and again, so I can get to view a few cars on there time.

However, I've read the books, but I still am not sure exactly sure what to look out for,if it's better to buy from a dealer or not etc. I'm looking for a decent car that needs no work.

Any advice on how to start my search or if anyone has any experience of searching I would be extremely grateful

Andy

Contact the Vintage Triumph register club in the States, one of their members cars would be the best to obtain, and to ship it go to Kingstown Shipping in Hull, they are bulletproof,

Is the Red Lion still open?

Edited by pfenlon

Hi, I'm new to these forums, and am after a bit of advice. At the moment I live in Dubai, and am planning on staying for the next 4 or5 years. I'm looking for my first tr6, it has to be a LHD to be able to drive it in the UAE, so it makes sense to me to get it from the states, with my work I get to go to California for a few days now and again, so I can get to view a few cars on there time.

However, I've read the books, but I still am not sure exactly sure what to look out for,if it's better to buy from a dealer or not etc. I'm looking for a decent car that needs no work.

Any advice on how to start my search or if anyone has any experience of searching I would be extremely grateful

Andy

Hi Andy

a bit of homework for you - download the pdf on the TR6 from this page

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/tr-buyers-guides/triumph-tr6

Rust free is the top of the priority list, no bodged accident repairs and filler, the mechanical bits are all relatively simpler. Cosmetics - are only skin deep............and dont worry about injection v carbs, a good car is a good car, performance can always be improved at leisure.

Welcome to the TR Register and the forum

Good luck

Ian

Andy I am a member of SCTOA and our club is in the process of merging with TRSC which is the other triumph club in southern California, there was a TR6 recently listed by our web-master Mr. Funkhouser, this is his e-mail address jimsgt6@icloud.com

Mines an import from Ebay.

Most important thing on hindsight is an independent inspection from someone who understands what to look for. I was very lucky and overall my car was good but seller forgot a few things . . so to say!

So suggest use eBay and be prepared to cough up a few hundred buck for a good inspection and if seller does not agree move on. Also accept that it will have faults so focus on the basics: rust, crash damage, engine compression etc.

Enjoy it!