A type OD gearbox debris

Hello Hamish,

Just a point about putting the gearbox back in.

I think it is worth making a crude wooden “Cradle” to fit under the gearbox that you can then put the jack under.

When I did mine a couple of months ago (took 2 days !!!) I found that the gearbox kept wobbling on the jack. It kept twisting and turning, flopping to one side or the other. With the weight of the thing (mine has OD as well) it was difficult to get it back straight. I’ve had shoulder problems for about 20 years and I was really in pain and getting fed up with the whole process.

All it needs is a piece of 12mm plywood and a couple of bits of 4x2 or whatever to go each side of the box. It’s probably easy to work it out with the box on the floor. You just need to support the sides to stop it twisting.

Having said all that I’ve never heard of the idea before, so maybe I was just unlucky with the problems I had. It’s just soooo heavy to get back up when it twists off the jack and ends up half on the garage floor and half on the car floor.

Charlie

Can someone explain why the drive flange (on the gearbox outputshaft) and the flange on the prop shaft are marked for orientation?

I do not see the need for this, but since everyone seems to do this, I may be (will be?) wrong.

Off course, the UJ's on the 3 shafts are/shall be aligned.

Thanks,

Waldi

Waldi

Perhaps its because all these long rotating parts are hand made thus compounding errors are built in that there is an optimum of balance that is then marked. Rather than a very technical balancing process for perfect performance.

That would be my guess given all I hear about the design material and manufacture of all the cars of this period

???? ???? ????

Hi Hamish,

The prop shafts are balanced indeed, normally on a bench as an individual part, not after installation to the gearbox/rear differential.

This practice is done sometimes however with for example wheels bolted to the car to balance the complete " rotor assembly".

Basically similar to what is done with turbine/pump rotors.

But I doubt this is the case here.

Let's wait for the eminences grises.

Regards,

Waldi

• 1 month later...

An update.

John Morrison of the gearbox crane fame contacted me and I have taken up his kind offer of borrowing his crane.

Isnt this club and forum great

Edited by Hamish
  • 2 weeks later...

Another late update.

Thanks to John ( the gearbox crane) Morrison the box is finally back in the car and attached to the engine.

I still struggled to get all the splines lined up. God knows how you do it without the crane ?!?! By yourself at least.

I also took loads of pics on my phone for reference.

What I have done is break my clutch slave cylinder

Edited by Hamish

Hi Hamish,

glad the box is back in,

but your slave cylinder/pushrod assembly looks all wrong to me.

Cylinder is the wrong side of the bracket for starters, so pushrod is way too short needing the spacer washer, I'll try and get a photo of mine and post later.

John.

Thanks John

The slave and bracket arrangement is as per PO and it has worked well.

But if I have to change the order. Ill need another rod !!!

Roger

I could have a play with the plate positioning. Not sure if it can go the other way but Ill have a look.

What I need to know is which slave cylinder to buy ?

H

Thanks Roger.

Ordered slave and a new rod so I can hopefully sort it all out in one go.

????

H

Hamish as it should be.

John.

Thanks John

Always useful to have the right pics.

And posting at midnight is beyond the call of duty.

Thank you

H