TR4 external door locks

Hi All

I wonder whether anyone can help?

When I bought my immaculate TR4 the dealer muttered on about how he had changed the door locks and boot lock to be operated on one key which didn't particularly bother me.

However after having been to Prescott we stayed at a local Hotel for a family celebration. I thought I had better lock the doors since it was in the car park overnight. So far so good.

Come the morning went to unlock it and the locks revolved in the handle panic set in particularly since I had the hardtop on. After about half an hour of gentle persuasion I managed to get in it.

Obviously this needs sorting but nowhere can I find any reference to changing the lock barrels etc. Moss sell a complete barrel set so it must be doable - anyone know how?

Regards

John

They obviously havent fitted the locks correctly, I think Roger went through all this a while ago so he may tell you the ins and outs. I try to repair what I have with the 4/4a ones.

Stuart.

Hi John,

taking the locks to pieces is quite easy. Do it step by step and re-assemble the other way round.

You say your barrels are spinning around :o

The key barrel has a pair of stops cast into them.

These engage with ears on a central plunger.

This plunger has external keyways that locate into a lever that operates the lock mechanism.

For some reason the barrel is no tallying up with the lever.

Do BOTH doors act the same

Also there is a double acting spring around the outside of the barrel. This brings the barrel back to the normal position after operation.

If the end of the springs come a drift then that may allow the barrel to rotate.

The slots in the barrel do get seriously worn and can cause the same problem.

Annoyingly the main suppliers charge an arm and a leg for a barrel kit.

'The Lock Man' did very good prices but sadly he is no more.

Take the barrel part and rebuild as per. Or if you can get it to me I'll have alook.

The other way - contact TRGB/TRBitz etc and try and get some old handles. These may have decent barrels/springs

Roger

Hi John,

taking the locks to pieces is quite easy. Do it step by step and re-assemble the other way round.

You say your barrels are spinning around :o

The key barrel has a pair of stops cast into them.

These engage with ears on a central plunger.

This plunger has external keyways that locate into a lever that operates the lock mechanism.

For some reason the barrel is no tallying up with the lever.

Do BOTH doors act the same

Also there is a double acting spring around the outside of the barrel. This brings the barrel back to the normal position after operation.

If the end of the springs come a drift then that may allow the barrel to rotate.

The slots in the barrel do get seriously worn and can cause the same problem.

Annoyingly the main suppliers charge an arm and a leg for a barrel kit.

'The Lock Man' did very good prices but sadly he is no more.

Take the barrel part and rebuild as per. Or if you can get it to me I'll have alook.

The other way - contact TRGB/TRBitz etc and try and get some old handles. These may have decent barrels/springs

Roger

attachicon.gifP1020625a.jpg

Thanks Roger

How do I get the barrel out of the handle?

At least then I might be able to see what the problem is.

To answer your earlier question both sides have the same problem

Regards

John

Hi John,

remove handle from door.

Undo the back plate screws from the handle

Remove the press button/barrel from the handle.

Remove the plunger screw and take the back plate away.

The bi-directional spring can be seen.

Look carefully at the press button. There is a brass pin that needs to be punched out (either direction). Once out the barrel can be withdrawn.

Look at the central plunger that slides into the barrel. The ears/stops should have a reasonably square edge to them.

Roger

As Roger says above, + I think you will need to have the key inserted to extract the barrel.

Bob.

Many thanks for the advice

I think it will be the best part of a week or so before I can get the handles off but will report back.

Regards

John

Hi John,

remove handle from door.

Undo the back plate screws from the handle

Remove the press button/barrel from the handle.

Remove the plunger screw and take the back plate away.

The bi-directional spring can be seen.

Look carefully at the press button. There is a brass pin that needs to be punched out (either direction). Once out the barrel can be withdrawn.

Look at the central plunger that slides into the barrel. The ears/stops should have a reasonably square edge to them.

Roger

Hi Roger et al

Found time to get access to the lock not something I would wish to repeat.

Having disassembled the handle everything seemed to be working Ok apart from a small plate in the bottom of the housing which has dimples to coincide with some depressions in the casting - I refitted this and carefully put the handle back together and hey presto it all works!

Thinking about it I was not very gentle when locking the car and I probably dislodged this plate.

Many thanks for all the advice

Regards

John