Chassis Paint

Yes.. as you can see on the blog, my upper "t-shirt" peice was rotten.. The lower one wasn't even there when I bought the car! Must have given the chassis some interesting dynamics.. mind you it made it around Spa!

the same area got a lot of attention on the new CTM chassis although it has to contend with heat from the exhaust which I think makes wax treatments a lot less effective. CTM powder coat as standard, but I opted out after seeing how quickly powdercoated suspension components on my spitifre degraded..

Cheers

tim

Yes.. as you can see on the blog, my upper "t-shirt" peice was rotten.. The lower one wasn't even there when I bought the car! Must have given the chassis some interesting dynamics.. mind you it made it around Spa!

the same area got a lot of attention on the new CTM chassis although it has to contend with heat from the exhaust which I think makes wax treatments a lot less effective. CTM powder coat as standard, but I opted out after seeing how quickly powdercoated suspension components on my spitifre degraded..

Cheers

tim

CTM supply in any finish you require, I didnt think powder coat was standard though.

Stuart.

CTM powder coat as standard, but I opted out after seeing how quickly powdercoated suspension components on my spitifre degraded..

Yes, my CTM chassis is almost ready and will be supplied having been blasted and etch primed. I'm thinking about spraying the finish coat with Rustoleum.

Anyone got anything bad to share about this product?

Yes, my CTM chassis is almost ready and will be supplied having been blasted and etch primed. I'm thinking about spraying the finish coat with Rustoleum.

Anyone got anything bad to share about this product?

When I was an apprentice toolmaker over 50 years ago, as a test piece I had to make a foot scraper out of plate m/s in the form of a scotty dog. After completion I then painted it with Rustoleum paint. That paint lasted over 40 years with only the odd spot of rust and was outside in all weathers! Then it was bead blasted down to the bare metal, galvanized and powder coated, it will probably out last me. I know that their paints are used in the oil industry to protect steel work.

Bruce.

Yes, CTM supply the chassis etch primed..

Cheers

Tim

Hi

Going back 20 to 40 years ago my company and the company I use to work for used a product called galvafroid to hand paint on our external security grills and barriers and being on the south coast it seemed to work very well.

Cant really comment on how well it lasted or even if it would be any good for the chassis or even if the product now was as good or the same as it was then.

Just brought back memories and I thought I would share.

Blimy... this thread has got some legs..???? reallly great input and options..... what this forum is all about ????

Just the throw in a related subject: inner chassis protection.

Been looking at dinatrol to coat the inside sections of the frame using the long application tube connected to the gun via a compressor. All the inaccessible sections I was going to drill 20mm access holes and then bung these up with rubber grommets for future applications.

Now Im sure there are other products out there... but which is best?

Nick

Hi Nick,

BEFORE you drill access holes make sure you have the blanks/bungs that fit.

20mm is quite big - consider 1/2, 5.8

The area around the T shirt has quite a few internal baffles - makes these area are also squirted..

As regards quality - it will the same replay as chassis paint - 100's.

Dinitrol, Bilthamber, Astorlan, etc etc area very good and appear to stick.

I used Waxoyl before I researched the products and am not too impressed.

On my left sill it fell off the skin in a sheet. And had been re-applied a few times through its life

Roger

PS - are you painting the inside of the chassis box sections. BondaRustPrimer would like the bare metal and works well. Then wax.

Edited by RogerH

Hi Roger

20mm is not that bad IMO, looking at the other factory holes its not far off...

Being a sparky by trade (not that i have done much recently!!!) 20mm bungs are a pleanty.

Was looking at the other holes sizes but not sure if its a good idea to bung every hole apart from the ones located on the bottom for drainage.

painting of the inside of the box section... how do you mean?

Nick

I used Galvanfroid on a Spitfire I rebuilt.. the think which impressed me was the weight of the can... It clearly had a lot of zinc in it!

not sure how well it worked as I sold the car shortly afterwards.

Cheers

Tim

Nick

Hi Nick,

if you are going to spray wax into the chassis box sections then have you considered spraying with paint first.

It may give another layer of protection - or may be overkill.

Regarding the Galvafroid - do follow the instructions. Allow time to dry and be careful what you paint it with.

Another similar product is Zinga - very good but same care as above.

Roger

Hi Nick,

Before you start: clean, clean, clean.

I used compressed air (with a 1m long 8mm dia or so plastic hose from one end and a vacuum cleaner with a lenght of 1/2 hose taped to the vac cleaner from the other side as a first step for each box section

Then I removed some dirt inside the larger holes, the dirt did not enter very far. i used an old screwdriver and a 90 degr. bend hook I made myself.

I inspected with a small torch, a simple endoscope would have been nice, they are cheap, but I felt the torch inspection was sufficient.

I did not do much drilling, as I was able to reach most sections with an injection nozzle on a thin (5mm or so) long tube/hose. I used tectiel ML, the amber stuff in a white can, it comes with the nozzle ans tube.

http://www.mercuriustools.nl/gereedschap/wp-content/uploads/Valvoline-20110-Tectyl-ML-holle-ruimte-was-in-600ml-spuitbus-met-slange.jpg

I first tried with the compressor and a "tectiel can", but found this too much.

The spraying can worked more controlled.

I think I needed 3 or 4.

Drilling:

If you plan to drill additional holes, this is best done before painting the outside, and for me 8 mm dia was enough.

I think I only drilled where the trailing arms are bolted, there are some hidden cavities there.

Regards,

Waldi

Edited by Waldi

Thanks Ed

funny i was just looking around as i was sure that i'd seen somwhere that this had been measured out before.... or couse it was you... :)

Nick

Zinga really is an excellent product. But check out the data sheet on the Zinga website for preparation and application.

For best performance the chassis needs to be grit blasted.

It will not chip, like paint, and can be re-charged every few years after cleaning the surface.

Wide industrial use and proven.

No affiliation, having just used it on Land Rover underside components that have taken some abuse.

Eric.

Ed.. you put a load of holes in the part of the chassis to which the trainline arm attaches.. do you think that will compromise the strength?

Cheers

Tim

Tim--

All the holes you see in the pic are from the factory. I did have to drill one small 5/16" hole on each side to reach an inaccessible cavity, but i cant see how it would materially affect strength.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Cool.. If triumph was happy so am I..

Interesting that the CTM replacement chassis that I have doesn't have them..

Cheers

Tim

Ed

Which looks to me like a very good idea... very interseted to know the outcome

Ahh! That makes sense. Looks like a nice piece of kit.

Cheers

Tim

I think what Roger is suggesting is that if one can use a hose with a pin in the end to spray cavity wax, the same system could be employed to spray paint on the inside of the box sections as an added level of rust protection. Certainly that is what I intend doing.

Years ago, I replaced the rear cross member on my Range Rover and did exactly that. It is as fresh inside now as it was when I did it (17 years ago).

Yeah I thought so. Ive been searching for a spray gun that has this facility with a longish cavity hose or a add on for a spray gun, gravity or suction... I have both.

Unless theres another way of getting and good coat of paint on the inside ?

Nick