Hi Dave,

I'm sure Pete is correct. One or other are the parent company.

Although many purists do not lo=ike 'County' products I believe they are actually very good.

OK may be not for racing or extreme use but for normal TR duties they work well and last for many 10,000's miles.

Roger

Hi Dave,

during my engine rebuild I learned (from Revington & my own research) ) that there are multiple versions of bearings available from this supplier. They do even provide trimetal-bearings - so check with your supplier not only the brand but the product version also....

And be sure, there are cheap variants as well as more expensive ones ;) Sometimes you get what you pay for.....

Regards, Johannes.

Edited by j-eichert

+1 several variants of King Bearings so do your research into what you are actually buying.

Others have also reported that some King bearing can be .0005 undersize, which probably won't make much difference in a road engine, but in some applications is worth knowing when having a crank machined.

Alans

Problem with the Tri Metal Kings is that the are not stamped properly to identify them.

They are all stamped County and some letters for production date.

Size is stamped properly.

Many suppliers sell the four cylinder set and four shells from another package

to get a TR6 set. I hate that because I am not sure if all are Tri Metals.

Normally the Bi Metals are more shiny and more silver while the Tri metals are grey.

The difference can be seen if they are all same age and you have both versions at hand.

To take the AE Tri Metals from Revington is not the solution.

I bought the very expensive AEs and got KINGs with no comment.

Lot of trouble followed where they told me they are same quality while advertising

and offering much better AE quality on the Website blaming the KINGs.

So I would tend to buy the KINGs from Chris Wittor at half the price of the AEs.

Another bl00dy minefield! Only wondered because I saw them on eBay. When I reshelled mine I managed to get Vandervell main and big end shells in standard size.

Another bl00dy minefield! Only wondered because I saw them on eBay. When I reshelled mine I managed to get Vandervell main and big end shells in standard size.

And Vandervel (if you can get them) isn't an easy a choice as it once was. I managed to pick up a set in the correct size two years ago, but didn't use them due to them having a lot of corrosion from long term storage. Most of the Vandervell's remaining are now how many decades old?

I actually used the new AE copies from Revington and have been happy with them, I wouldn't have been happy if I had received King's as a substitute.

Alan

Just to add, it would appear that tri metal bearings are for a steel crankshaft especially a highly loaded one in for example a race car. The bi metal are more suitable for cast iron cranks!

I did read that, too but I think the Vanderwells are tri metals and have been

used ex works on the TR6. Nearly all modern cars use tri metals.

Sometimes it is recommended to have the crank tuftrided.

That is always an option to reduce bending what is a topic

because we do not have the best number of bearings in the TR6.

Best would be to have a main bearing on every side of a rod.

The bi metals have the advantage that they do not suffer that much

if the alignment of shaft and bearing is not perfect.

I would go on with tri metals what mostly will be KING or AE

but do not see disadvantage to use bi metals on the carb TR6.

The amount of bending (deflection) of steels is not influenced by any surface treatment.

It is depending on the modulus of elasticity (Youngs modulus).

Regards,

Waldi