why can't i find any TR5's for sale

A wanted Advert on the TR-Register site and E-Mails to all the AO's may find you a car?

It worked for me :)

Nice to see another one appear Tim, when will we see that one on the road again?

Another item to consider when comparing the earlier Michelotti TRs to the '68s: inline 6-cylinder engines [ in production ] are just about extinct. The inimitable sound and smoothness has to make values appreciate dramatically in the future. Those of us who have them are obliged to flaunt them every chance we get to stimulate hankering - do your part ^_^ !

As for the very rare RHD TR5, the home country conditions have wasted them so cruelly that 1000 hours or more can be needed to bring back just the body and frame ( do the math! ).

Cheers,

Tom

One for sale at Classic & Sportscar Centre, Corner Farm, West Knapton, Malton, North Yorkshire.

Tel. 01944 758000. Now the bad bit, £43,995.

It's in their advert on last Wednesday's Classic Car Weekly.

Dave

Gary, it was intended to be a 2 year project but since stripping out the interior I am having second thoughts! I have yet to find a single rust hole apart from the top of the rear wings. The floor pans only have surface rust, sills are solid, doors look like new on the undersides. Have borrowed a boroscope so will inspect interior of the chassis tomorrow. The car was in dry storage and under sealed from new, but we shall see!

" thanks to you guys will now know what I am looking for and how to make sure I get a 5 and not a 4a or 250 "

You may very well think so . . . . . B)

I first drove a TR5 back in 1970, I've looked over a lot of 5s since then !

The last couple of converted Michelotti bitsas that I inspected were sufficiently well detailed that it took an awful lot of eyeballing to be sure of what they really were. Without question they'd both have fooled the average classic car dealer, let alone a novice buyer, simply because someone previously put a great deal of time and effort into achieving the devilish detail.

I'd suggest that you cajole someone who really knows TR5s to assist you with an inspection . . . . it's well worth a thank you bottle of decent malt !

Cheers,

Alec

As I recall, some time back Stuart produced a really good piece (cant remember if it was in a post or a Word doc?) on the difference between a TR4/4A and a TR5 bodyshell and there are many - maybe a search will find it?

Happy hunting and I hope you find the real deal...........

Cheers

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not forgetting the TR5 is predominantly a ragtop and this is not the season. Anyone thinking of selling would surely wait until the spring to maximise their value and some won't even get their cars out of the garage in the winter.

I may be selling my Boxster shortly but I'd be foolish to bring it to market until next May/June.