Refitting Rear Wheel Studs - TR4A

Having easily removed the short ( wire wheel hubs) rear wheel studs from my hubs/driveshafts ( which are not yet fitted to the trailing arms), I'm having great difficulty getting them to seat fully home when re-fitting them - should they just "tighten in" and if so, whats the most torque I should risk to achieve this

At the moment, I've put a standard wheel nut on and tightened, having tried to line the splined edges of the stud up with the original grooves, but all four studs are still not seating fully home in the countersunk back of the hub.

I want to avoid, if possible, splitting hub so I can drive them in from behind - I may try a G clamp with a socket over threaded part of stud - any help much appreciated

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich,

there is no need to align the old grooves with the new splines - the stud should self align (sort of).

When you fit the wheel and tighten the nuts ( http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/61487-wheel-nut-torque-figure/?hl=%2Bwheel+%2Btorque)

You will be able to get a better purchase on the nut and they will pull down 60lbs/ft there abouts.

Roger

Roger and co

Thanks - I'll just have to remember to do that at some point in the future - do you mind reminding me please! ( seriously Ive put a label tied through the hub saying just that because I would forget!)

In fact, may not be quite that easy as they will have wire wheel hubs so I may need one of your special hub hold tight tools - are you planning to do a batch for general sale as if so, can I be first in the queue :P:huh:

Cheers

Rich

PS Anybody got a complete good 4A front differential bridge? Happy to separate it from attached chassis tubes if necessary.

PS Anybody got a complete good 4A front differential bridge? Happy to separate it from attached chassis tubes if necessary.

Colin at CTM can supply you with a new one which maybe a better bet.http://www.ctmengineering.co.uk/contact.htm

Stuart.