Sidescreen perspex

Just back from a rallye in eastern France in the Vosges. Very wet and slippy in the forest roads but good fun.

Two annoyances ! The striker plate disintergrated on the navigator's side and we had to use an elastic to keep the door shut and more annoying the fixed perspex on one side "disappeared" on the return with the car on the trailer.

Seeing how tight they were it is a mystery.

Anyway the question is concerning fitting. I assume (always dangerous) that the only way will be to bend the perspex "gently" to get it in?

Any tips would be appreciated. I'll be ordering one from Moss.

Edited by TwinCamJohn

The "fixed" plastic should be sewn in at the front, & fits alongside the window channels.

Easyest way to fit is to remove the sliding window (yes you have to carefully bend it to get it out), then pull out the channels, fit the front plastic, & replace the channels, then replace the sliding window.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

If this is a TR3A (as in photo) then the sidescreen has a thin plastic (Cobex) window at the front, which is sewn along the sloping front edge to the vinyl,

and would normally have a metal "U" shaped strip pushed over the rear edge to keep it straight.

The top & bottom edges are trapped between the frame, & the channels for the sliding window.

I have replaced my front windows with clear polycarbonate sheet, as it is much stronger than the original material.

Bob.

The perspex windows are a tight fit requiring 'address and dexterity'. - and some courage - to get them in. Wear some gloves - just in case. In fact they are not difficult to make yourself

Not convinced by Bob's solution of polycarbonate. Sure it is tough and virtually unbreakable but it is VERY easily scratched. Macrolon is a common brand name if you start looking for some in France

James

The perspex windows are a tight fit requiring 'address and dexterity'. - and some courage - to get them in. Wear some gloves - just in case. In fact they are not difficult to make yourself

Not convinced by Bob's solution of polycarbonate. Sure it is tough and virtually unbreakable but it is VERY easily scratched. Macrolon is a common brand name if you start looking for some in France

James

I'm all for polycarbonate. The sidescreen rebuild kits (and rebuilding service) at The Roadster Factory use Makrolon-brand polycarbonate and I've been quite happy with mine.

i-4ZvMN2c.jpg

An update. I received the bits I had ordered from Moss which included the missing sidescreen fixed window.

In my ignorance (at least I think so) I was expecting this to be in solid perspex. I was diappopinted to find it was a) Blue B) thin enough to roll in a tube and c) badly scratched.

Moss have agreed a refund.

So can anybody give me the dimensions of the front fixed window (dzu type sidescreen) and I'll get a piece cut.

I was diappopinted to find it was a) Blue B) thin enough to roll in a tube and c) badly scratched.

Just had a new sidescreen delivered too, from Rimmer Bros. Is not the "blue" colour a plastic protective skin? It takes all the knocks during transit, and peels off (along with the surface scratches). Should be clear and clean underneath. :ph34r:

I agree however, it is very thin!

Cheers, Deggers

Hi

I have a couple that I got from Moss and have not been fitted yet

They are 28cm high and approx 59 wide.I do not have how to measure the angles.

Suggest you start by getting two plates 59 x 28 and then get the angles for each side. I will try to get them later.

Camilo

They're still n the blue cover but I suppose they are like the normal ones for this car: not as thick as the opening one.

You said above that you got one from Moss; in that case it is like the one you got.

Edited by qim

The shape of the frame will dictate the angle to cut - they are not all the same, & may have to be tweaked to fit the stanchion correctly.

Getting side screens to fit well all round is not a trivial job (ask me how I know!)

Bob.

I have solved the "mystery" if that is what it was. Spoke to the last owner and asked where he had got the sidescreens.

Turns out there was no perspex in them when he bought the car and so he had a local boatbuilder cut the perspex to his design. Hence the fact that the fixed ones are not the original flimsy ones.

That job is now low down on the interest list as apart from moving house , the likelihood of using the sidescreens in the near future is very slim.