Ridiculous CR wiper switch

On a recent trip in during a deluge I became utterly frustrated accessing my wiper switch. The has CR a rotary affair hidden behind the overdrive lever. OK I have exacerbated the problem by adjusting my steering column as close to the dash as it will go (doesn't everyone?), therefore bringing the overdrive lever very close to the wiper switch. Oh to have a rocker switch like the CP :rolleyes:. The rotary switch is downright dangerous to fiddle around with. To overcome the problem I have fitted a Lucas Off-On-On toggle switch and a push button alongside it for the washers on a home made auxiliary switch panel just under the dash. So much better. Why-oh-why did Triumph fiddle with the the CP design - madness!

I had the same issue with my left hand drive TR6, I was forever knocking the car out of overdrive when turning the wipers on. So I rearranged the switches so that the overdrive switch is on the right (centre of car) and indicators on the left. Problem solved

George

So George, you have the indicators on the correct side, away from the gear shift. On right hand drive cars, they should be on the right hand side. All those years ago, the UK caved in to Europe and allowed the indicators to be shifted to the left hand side so that visitors from Europe would not get confused. Ever since, those of us in countries that drive on the left have had to put up with the stupidity of having Euro cars with it on the WRONG side! I now have 4 cars, two of which have wrong indicators, and two with them on the right (in both senses!!!) side.

When Brexit goes through, maybe you guys can get this fixed. Thank goodness you did not cave in on the Euro sausage!

Indicators are operated with the left hand and overdrive/dip switch with the right hand (LHD car). Of course on a RHD car the set up would be opposite hand.

I also experimented with a Stag type gear stick switch but settled on the above setup

George

• 5 months later...

How do you adjust the wheel to be closer to the dash? I presume it is the couplings just in from the bulkhead in the engine compartment but which ones and by how much? Maybe a photo would help? Thanks

Graeme,

the (inner) column mounted to the steering wheel and the one in the bulkhead have a flat side and can slide up and down to shorten/lengthen the wheel position inside the car. The bracket nearest the bulkhead once loosened allows this to happen. Obviously ensure its done up properly after youve adjusted the column length to suit.