Replacing Fulcum Pin retaining bolt

Hi Folks

Late TR4 nearside suspension, I want to replace ( Moss catalogue TR2002 Page 68 ,item 7 Part NoBH606141 ) the

bolt because the thread " didn't quite feel right " when I was bolt tightening , stem to stern , as part of my pre MOT check over.

The bolt is the one on the outside of the pin , nearest the front bumper. Washers , plain and spring and nut ( but not item

GHF203 , it's a large UNC thread !! It's a typo in the catalogue. It should be GHF202 apparently .. replacement in the post , Moss tell me ) will be replaced at the same time.

Question .. can I replace with everything it situ or has it got to be a complete or partial suspension strip down ?

I appreciate that the space between the chassis turret / shroud ( correct term ? ) and the road spring is extremely limited /

tight but with a bit of ingenuity I think I can get the 3 part washer / nut combo up there.

Long thin nosed pliers or bits taped to a couple of long thin wooden coffee stirrers might do it.

Removal of the shock absorber might provide slightly more vision but probably not a lot more "access ".

I know that I'm going to have to extend " my vocabulary " to get / encourage the nut and bolt to marry up but don't fancy a total strip down unless I have to.

I got a clean sheet MOT yesterday, so I'm in relaxed mode at the moment tackling a few outstanding little jobs on the car.

Any input / suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Bob

Edited by bob-menhennett

Far easier to drop the shock out and the spring, doesnt take long with a proper spring compressor.

Stuart.

For what it's worth, I managed to get a 3/8" drive socket on a long extension up behind the spring on my'3 when I was changing my standard upper fulcrum to the adjustable camber type. Why did Triumph not make all 4 nuts captive instead of just two ?

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Stuart and Bob

Two gentlemen who advice I respect, thanks for your input.

Bob was it the case , back in the day , of the engineers saying " I don't fully trust those new fangled captive nuts , we need 4 in total , if we do two of each, everyone will be happy ! "

One of life's mysteries.

Bob