Alternator ignition light

I guess its a screw-type MES holder Paul (?) - so something like this perhaps:

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/1381/category/119

Thanks Rob well worth a try, will let you know the outcome.

Cheers

Paul

Persistence sometimes pays

Thanks Rob the LED worked, the bulb lit with the L alternator wire to earth and went out on start up, I have now replaced the other switched live to the lamp with and earth, there was a polarity issue at first but swapped the wires around on the holder and all is good.

Thanks to all for your input.

Paul

• 3 months later...

My first post and I'm really sorry but I don't have a TR4 but I do have lots of TR parts on my Ginetta G4 :-)

Anyway , I have exactly the same problem with my Denso Kubota Alternator. I would be really grateful if Paul J could post a wiring diagram of the final answer

Thanks and best regards

Terry

Hello Terry

Do you have the alternator fitted, if so is it charging ok but the ignition light does not function correctly.

If so then all I did was change the bulb for an LED and change the polarity of the bulb, ie swap the earth around on the bulb holder and all was well.

Paul

Welcome to the forum Terry. Note that in Paul's case the bulb had to be changed for an LED type because the alternator could not give sufficient current to drive a normal one. I don't know how the bulb-holder is mounted on a Ginetta; if its an all-metal holder it might be necessary to insulate it from any metal parts in order to reverse the wires.

Afraid my one hasn't worked :-(

I get a constant 12v + out of the L terminal enough to light a proper bulb and I connected a drill up to run the alternator and the light doesn't go out (I rigged up a temporary earth)

Tried the same with an LED

Brise don't want to know as they didn't sell the alternator.

I am totally at my wits end. Funnily there is loads of this on the internet.

If the 12V is there all the time, even when the alternator is not rotating, there is probably a fault in the alternator regulator Terry. Replacements are available.

Now this is funny, I read somewhere about removing the "S" cable.

Hey presto the warning light works???? (The correct way round)

Having checked now a wiring diagram for a Kubota machine the S wire is not connected? (I am trying to post a copy but can't find out how?)

But will it damage the battery if this is not connected?

Terry

SORTED!!!

Some alternators have a "P" terminal that signals the Tacho rather than an "S" terminal. (There is nothing anywhere which tells you which is which)

"Regulator has P-IG-L terminals. IG terminal activates the alternator, and L is for warning light operation. "P" terminal which carries a "Phase" signal drives the tach"

This info isn't anywhere.

Hopefully this may help someone else

Well done. (Of course if everyone stuck to using Lucas alternators, none of this confusion would happen. :D)

To add attachments to posts click on the 'more reply options' tab which will open a window where you can browse and select files.

Cheers Rob, I even bought an ACR17 but I couldn't fit the thing in!

Have attached the Kubota Wiring diagram for others as we will all end up with these things :-)

post-15376-0-07698000-1516117121_thumb.jpg

Moral to the story , you have to google the exact alternator model you have and find out the exact connections, even if it means googling the car or excavator (!) it comes off.

The diagram for connections on the Brise Website maybe wrong for your alkternator, which I think is the problem as thats what everyone ends up finding.

Thanks

Terry