Registration documents

Hi,i'm new to all this so any help would be appreciated.I've just bought a TR6,but have no documents or number plates with it, also the vin plate is missing.Its been stood in a barn for 22 years so is a bit of a basket case.I have an engine number (CP29510 UE,according to the heritage centre it may possibly be wrongly stamped last letters and should be HE ).I also have a body number (25602 CF,maybe CP,its hard to tell ).Heritage tell me body number doesn't match my photos, due to wrong colour (primer and blue) and wheels (standard steels but with larger tyres )Does anyone know if the vin number is stamped anywhere else rather than L\H inner wheel arch or on the screen surround?.The Heritage centre haven't been very helpful and i'm wondering if i should give up on this project if i can't get it registered.It has been suggested i might be able to buy a log book or complete old vehicle and swap bits over .What does anyone think.Thanks for any help.Regards Tony

With all the imformation you havn't got I would think that your cause is hopeless. The TR6, or any other make for that matter, of this age did not have a VIN number per se but would have had a commision number which would have been on a plate on the inner n/s front wing or for later cars on the passenger B post. The engine number is of little consequence as it possibly is not the original engine. The Dvla may be able to help but I wouldn't hold my breath.

you need the vin/chassis number as it states in the form to register (V something) with out that the form will be returned to you.I nearly went through this until I saw the TR in the flesh today and promptly backed out of it.

Regards Harry

You can do a heritage trace from just the engine number. It sounds like a 1969 model from the body number, but check the engine number. Are you sure it is not CP 26*** or CP25***. Is the windscreen surround body colour or black?

Cheers John

At worst, Toddy, the DVLA will be ale to issue you with an "age-related number", as the only alternative is a Q number.

See: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/reconstructed-classic-vehicles

"Get an age-related registration number

DVLA can only recognise your vehicle as a reconstructed classic vehicle if it meets certain criteria. It must be:

• built from genuine period components from more than one vehicle, all over 25 years old and of the same specification as the original vehicle
  • a true reflection of the marque

The appropriate vehicle owners’ club for the vehicle type (‘marque’) must inspect the vehicle and confirm in writing that it:

• has been inspected
  • is a true reflection of the marque
  • is comprised of genuine period components all over 25 years old

They must also give manufacture dates for the major components.

DVLA will assign an age-related registration number to the vehicle based on the youngest component used."

John

"The Heritage centre haven't been very helpful and i'm wondering if i should give up on this project if i can't get it registered.It has been suggested i might be able to buy a log book or complete old vehicle and swap bits over .What does anyone think.Thanks for any help.Regards Tony"

Hi Tony, where about's are you?

Do you ring the church bell when not restoring cars?

Atb?

Tony,

Sometimes a number is stamped in the chassis or body at a later moment.

In some countries like Holland, this is an "MOT" requitement although these cars did not have a stamped number on the chassis.

Do a thorough search on body and chassis, you may be lucky.

Regards,

Waldi

Hi,i'm new to all this so any help would be appreciated.I've just bought a TR6,but have no documents or number plates with it, also the vin plate is missing.Its been stood in a barn for 22 years so is a bit of a basket case.I have an engine number (CP29510 UE,according to the heritage centre it may possibly be wrongly stamped last letters and should be HE ).I also have a body number (25602 CF,maybe CP,its hard to tell ).Heritage tell me body number doesn't match my photos, due to wrong colour (primer and blue) and wheels (standard steels but with larger tyres )Does anyone know if the vin number is stamped anywhere else rather than L\H inner wheel arch or on the screen surround?.The Heritage centre haven't been very helpful and i'm wondering if i should give up on this project if i can't get it registered.It has been suggested i might be able to buy a log book or complete old vehicle and swap bits over .What does anyone think.Thanks for any help.Regards Tony

Hi Tony!

Is this car in bits or is it still assembled and I assume it is a PI not Carb?

Bruce.

The lack of number plates, comm.plate and V5 suggests that the identity has already been used for another vehicle.

That is my thinking as well and if proven to the original car, the DVLA can get very nasty on the cloned car owner as witnessed on a BSA Rocket Gold Star!!!!!

Bruce.

OP says "been stood in a barn for 22 years" and he's just bought it.

It won't have ben SORNed, so he's an innocent party if it has been cloned or the Reg.No swapped.

But if no numbers, and can acheive the Age-Relevant criteria, won't the DVBLA give him one?

What is the TRR experience with inspecting and approving such cars? (See my post 5)

John

OP says "been stood in a barn for 22 years" and he's just bought it.

It won't have ben SORNed, so he's an innocent party if it has been cloned or the Reg.No swapped.

But if no numbers, and can acheive the Age-Relevant criteria, won't the DVBLA give him one?

What is the TRR experience with inspecting and approving such cars? (See my post 5)

John

My view would be to establish the engine number and where the ash tray sits in the top scuttle panel pull it out and shine a torch in there as one can often get a fix on the original colour of the car. This area is often not repainted in a changed body colour. I believe that the DVLA S/B able to trace by engine number in their records. I understand that the engine may have been changed but that would be less lightly on a car that has not been used for over 20 years.

Bruce

Tony,

Send me an email to saffrontr6@btinternet.com. Looks like I have a commission and registration number for you as it has been in the TR Register in the far past two times and a check on the registration shows that it hasn't been registered since 1996 which nearly ties in with your previous owner who say it has been stored for 22 years.

cheers

Derek

Just another demonstration of the great work the Registrars do as a service to the club and its members - and just shows how important it is to inform the appropriate people in the club of any vehicle changes as they happen. The records are only as good as the information supplied...........

Ian

Tony,

Send me an email to saffrontr6@btinternet.com. Looks like I have a commission and registration number for you as it has been in the TR Register in the far past two times and a check on the registration shows that it hasn't been registered since 1996 which nearly ties in with your previous owner who say it has been stored for 22 years.

cheers

Derek

Well done Derek!

Bruce.

With all the imformation you havn't got I would think that your cause is hopeless. The TR6, or any other make for that matter, of this age did not have a VIN number per se but would have had a commision number which would have been on a plate on the inner n/s front wing or for later cars on the passenger B post. The engine number is of little consequence as it possibly is not the original engine. The Dvla may be able to help but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Thanks Clive