Another Nice restoration

Hi Gary,

With the law change from next May, owners of classics over 40 years old can apply for exemption from MOT if they wish, but will not qualify:

1. If a vehicle has a power to weight ratio of more than 15% in excess of its original design, unless such a modification took place before 1988. (See: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/644962/vehicles-of-historical-interest-substantial-change-guidance.pdf)

2. Your vehicle must have 8 or more points from the table below if you want to keep the original registration number. 5 of these points must come from having the original or new and unmodified chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame.

Part Points
Chassis, monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) or frame - original or new and unmodified (direct from manufacturer) 5
Suspension (front and back) - original 2
Axles (both) - original 2
Transmission - original 2
Steering assembly - original 2
Engine - original 1
Darren
Edited by TR5tar

Ah I see what your getting at, the new rules reference M.O.T.s, etc

The Item about using the Original Chassis or Body tub could be a problem with this one with it having a new CTM Chassis?

The whole new system seems fraught with potential problems to me.

The rules as I understand them, after some past discussion with both DVLA and DVSA, relate to the manufacturer of the replacement new chassis - as opposed to the manufacturer of the original vehicle.

After all, there is nothing new about the principle, which has been part of the DVLA rulebook for many, many years.

To the best of my knowledge the CTM product is about as close as one is going to get to an original specification chassis - which also incorporates the minor modifications recommended by BL / Triumph in period . . . .

So where is the problem with the CTM product ?

If I was in Colin Matthew's shoes I'd be briefing my lawyers - to deal with well meaning folks casting aspersions without an evidence basis to support their opinions . . . . . which are in danger of damaging my business.

Brain in gear before criticising our commercial suppliers would be a good move, in my view . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

From reading threads on the law changes regarding cars over 40 years old, it seems that many people find the 8 point rule confusing. When I pondered on the 8 point rule regarding this particular car I wasn't actually thinking about the chassis as such, but about the high level of restoration in general. If discussions with the DVLA show that there's no issue with the chassis, then that's a good thing in my opinion.

Cheers, Darren

• 2 weeks later...