Clutch slave cylinder

At the week end I was able to borrow a 4 post lift. It has been puzzling me for many years that I have trouble with the slave cylinder.

The ST manual shows the cylinder mounted on the rear side of the bracket and the lowest hole used for the connection.

The Moss parts book says use the middle hole. I know some of the contributors to the parts book and they do not get things wrong. If I use the middle hole the rod is at an angle and wears out the slave on one side only, and then it leaks.

I noticed in the parts book that there were two numbers for the bracket. 1 x Lockheed and 1 x Girling. I ordered a new one for the Girling set up which I have.

After removing the one on the car it was immediately clear that I had the Lockheed one fitted for many years with the slave on the wrong side.

I changed it over and the actuating rod is now in the middle hole and straight.

My manual of course shows the early layout for the TR2 and that explains the contradiction with Moss.

The manual of course is for the TR2 with an additional part at the back for the TR3.

It is a huge relief to know that I have got it correct . Don't ask how many years it has been wrong because it is very embarrassing. Why did it take so long to discover the answer.

Richard & H.

Sorry no photo but the slave sits higher in the Girling bracket.

You have to wonder why there is a difference and why the location of the slave ,in front or behind the bracket, should make a difference.

I am very happy to have the correct one now.

Richard & H.

Richard

Glad you have sorted it out.

This thread prompted me to look in the Moss catalogue where the two different layouts can be seen in the diagrams.

I am surprised that the Girling slave fitted the Lockheed bracket - the mounting holes must be at the same diameter.

If you want to pass on the old Lockheed mounting plate then I would be interested - never does any harm to have a spare for something no longer listed in the Moss catalogue!

Rod

The Lockheed bracket comes with a Lockheed pushrod. Now that I have changed the pushrod as well, the clutch is working well after some months of anguish.

I was able to go for a 12 mile run without any problems. :)

Now I am going to look at the rear springs. :wub: