Indicator Flash Speed

I've fitted an electronic flasher unit (can't remember why) and now for some reason the flash rate has increased, not too fast for an MOT failure as I think the legal rate is between 60 & 120 blinks per minute, but too fast for my liking.

All the bulbs are working, so my question is this, is it likely to be a faulty flasher unit or just an expected symptom of using an electronic version?

Just thought I'd ask before sourcing a replacement.

Richard.

I have just replaced mine with an electronic unit and it is faster than the old bi-metal strip but is about 90 flashes per minute which is hal way across the spec. I have also changed to LEDs which react quicker than filament bulbs.

• 3 weeks later...

You can buy adjustable flashers.

Ed

Thanks for that Ed, I never knew they existed.

However, the supplier who I bought the flasher relay from gave me another to try and suggested I also fit 10w bulbs at the front instead of 5w.........replacement relay fitted and the flash speed slowed a little, 10w bulbs then fitted and the speed is perfect!

Richard.

Hi Richard,

The bulbs for indicator lights should be 21W, not 10.

Regards,

Waldi

Really, the front indicator bulbs should be 21w? What should the front sidelight bulb wattage be, those are also 5w in my case? All these bulbs came in a model specific kit...."allegedly".

Richard.

Side lights, tail lights, & number plate lights are all 5W, indicators, stop lamps, high intensity fog lamps, & reversing lamps are all 21W.

headlamps are usually 65W

Bob.