New Kitchen?

Oh Sh...........t.

I was so pleased with the results of painting my rear deck that I decided to do the boot lid. Great, 6 cans arrived from Moss today. My wife moderately accepts that the kitchen is purely an extension of my garage/workshop so I unpacked the box of paint whilst making a cup of coffee (girls please note I can multi-task). I guess for packaging purposes Moss wraps up the paint cans in very tight black plastic wrap about 100 layers thick, The only way to get it off is to delicately cut it with a sharp knife. A steak knife was handy as I was in the kitchen. The knife obviously did more than pierce the plastic because the tin erupted redecorating the kitchen and making me look like the victim of the chain saw massacre.

I quite like my new kitchen painted signal red, the problem is that I have only done about 15% of it. Caroline gets back mid afternoon, What shall I do?

a) Use the rest of the cans to complete the paint job of the kitchen?

B) Sell the TR and buy a new kitchen

c) Wait till she comes back, lie on the floor and say I was attacked by an intruder and am loosing blood fast?

d) Jump in the TR and go far away (without a boot lid)

e) Any other suggestions?

Your votes and suggestions on a post card please.

Simon

It's a known fault that some of those paint cans can spontaneously explode ... honest gov. Tell the wife that this is what happened and that you are very lucky to still be here :ph34r:

There's no covering up the result of what happened, but there's no need to explain your part in it :lol::lol::lol:.

Good luck and if we don't see you in these parts again we'll know that things didn't go well.

Darren

I am pretty logical so going for plan a). It only took 10 seconds to do 15% of the kitchen so my maths says it will take less than a minute to do the other 85%. I still have 5 cans of paint left, should just about cover it if I do not paint the fridge or the toaster. (they were only mildly splattered and look quite retro) The only downside is my boot lid will have to stay in primer a while longer.

will report back when Caroline gets back. Hopefully.

In the meantime:

FOR SALE

1967 TR4A

One owner since 1975

Good mechanical condition

No rust

Paint needs a modicum of improvement (especially the boot lid)

All offers to Pembury Hospital A + E department

Whole new meaning to the phrase "the painter's are in" :D

Roger.

Thanks for your support. I know I am a twit but why the Kitchen? I open all my mail in the kitchen, and preparing the paint cans while having breakfast saves time and time is valuable at my time of life. Any way I needed to immerse the cans in warm water, been told that makes the painting easier. Got 90% of it off now with about 30 minutes to go to the C moment, but I think the toaster is toast as a good dollop of signal red went inside.

Simon

I have just run your predicament past the Boss.

She has some ideas, many in fact

a) get the thinners out fast and see if you can retrieve the situation.

B) Follow your own suggestion d)

c) as for B)

d) as for c)

e) as for d)

etc :lol:

Iain

She knew something was wrong when she got back because the kitchen was so immaculately clean. Admitted to a "minor" paint spill. So far feel I may have got away with it but hope she doesn't use the toaster till I can get a new one.

Simon

Simon

Get some wine, no make that lots of wine!!!

Cheers

Rich

PS and no, I haven't got any more of it, and I don't want your wire wheels - keep up the humour - you will soon be challenging Roger for top of something, not sure what though!

Result:

Think the total cost of my stupidity is 6 hours of my time cleaning the kitchen and one toaster. The real bummer is I think I will be about 1/2 a can short for the paint job. Just playing extra safe by taking Caroline out for lunch today.

I cannot believe how much paint a boot lid needs. Perhaps I am being ultra conservative by rubbing down with 800 between coats but I think I did not use enough high build primer. The imperfections and scratches are only just fading away after 4 coats and each coat is taking about 2/3 of a can. Think I need about 3 more coats. Does this sound about right to the rattle canners out there?

Simon

You may not have left the primer for long enough to stop it sinking before you flatted it off, what grade paper did you use? What did you rub the boot lid down originally with, what grade paper? How long have you left the coats of paint between? 800 is too coarse for flatting top coat, you need minimum 1200 and better still 1500 and soapy water, dont forget to clean your paper off often if it starts picking up the paint.

4 coats would normally be plenty when sprayed properly with a sraygun for a cellulose finish.

Stuart.

I used 400 grade to prepare the paint surface and sometimes 200 to remove a paint chip. I feathered it 400 and then used filler primer. Left the primer for at least 24 hours and rubbed down with 400 then 600. I am using rattle cans and rubbing down between coats, I will use a finer grade.

Simon

Hi Stuart

Thanks for the painting tips. I went over the boot lid with 1200 about 3 times using soapy water and I now have a lovely smooth scratch free dull surface that I am sure will take a good top coat. When run my finger tips over it, it is like the preverbal baby's bot. Whether I will have to do another session with 1200 only time will tell.

Cheers

Simon

Whenever I have had to do concours cellulose paint jobs then I do 3 coats then leave overnight and then the next morning flat off with 1200. Then paint another 3 coats and flat the next day, do that every day for a week flatting off probably 2 of the 3 coats every time. By the end of the week you have a mirror finish though its not really any thicker than if you had painted 5 coats and then flatted that off but because you have done little and often the solvents have evaporated better and the proper depth of shine has come out.I then buff with Tcut and finish with 3M final glaze.

More paint does not equate to better finish/protection as its easier to chip deep paint and your more likely to get problems of shrinkage between coats..

Whatever you do dont wax any paint for at least 6 months after to allow all the solvents to escape no matter what type of paint you use.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Did not quite get way with it Scott free. Only a new cheap floor. Reminds of the joke of the 70's.

Q: What is the similarity between an amtico floor and a wife talking about her husband?

A; Lay it right first time around and you can walk all over it for life.

Simon