Portable Car Lift

Hi All,

I am getting too old and wary to keep jacking my car up corner by corner ready for axle stands, and I do not have the money or garage space for a proper hoist system. Therefore I have been thinking of treating myself to a portable system such as www.quickjacklift.co.uk - does anyone have any experinece of these? I could not find anything on the search forum.

Many thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I don't have any experience of the Quickjacklift, but I can see the attraction in terms of ease of storage, portability, and a clear access channel underneath, but have you considered a mid-rise scissor lift as an option. A lot would depend on the height of your garage and whether you'd be able to leave the lift in place, but if you do have the space, then the scissor lift will give the extra height to work seated under the car (unless you are particularly tall).

I went for the SJR lift, which was around the same money as the mid-price Quickjack I seem to remember. I've no relationship with the firm, other than being a satisfied customer. It, or similar, might be worth you taking a look at. Here's mine in action ...

Only negative is that access underneath is limited in some areas, but this can be got around in most instances by either driving forward on to the lift or reversing on.

Edited by TR5tar

Mark

In ignorance of the TR4, is there no central part of the chassis, fore and aft, that will allow you to lift one end up at a time, to put the axle stands in?

Twice as fast and probably safer than corner by corner.

You need a trolley jack to do this, probably one with a 'long reach', and in alloy to make it lighter to move around. These can cost £200ish.

Like the below. The rally boys use side stands, that need the car to be adapted, but give free access under the car.

John

Not sure how important "portable" is but these scissor lifts weigh in at about 550kg and having moved them on a smooth garage floor with 3 trolley jacks it's not a move I'd be keen on doing often. Other than that "in the floor" they go, no bruises then, they stick up about 110mm, (bruises to show from when I fell over it (prior to sinking).

post-6602-0-52676800-1505152858_thumb.jpg

So consider carefully, if you can't or won't sink them then maybe the others are the way to go.

Mick Richards

Mick makes a good point about the scissor lift that I have not being that portable. I have moved it on my own (it has rollers), but it was a struggle, so ideally once you have it in the place where you want to use it it is best that it stays there. I've not found tripping over it to be a problem myself, because if the car isn't in the garage then I'm not usually either. However, sinking it as Mick did is the best solution if you have the means and skill to do that.

Good luck with whatever you choose Mark.

Cheers, Darren

Thanks for all your comments and thoughts. I feel that the sissor lifts will not give me the access I may want and the ramp type systems need more storage than I would want to use. As there are no particualr negative comments over the quicklift then I will probably add it to my Christmas wish list. ;)

You may or may not consider it a negative Mark, but the cost of the QuickJack system (£1100+ for the lowest priced option) seems high when you consider that the end result (in terms of height) is not significantly better than using trolley jacks and axle stands. Yes, I can see that it's going to be easier to use and you say that is one of your main considerations, so fair enough.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Cheers, Darren