Import from Canada - advice needed

Hi

I'm in the process or sorting an import of a 3a from Canada. Hopefully it will be the earliest example in the UK (TS22032L)!

I have a few questions. If anyone can advise or point me at a previous thread I'd appreciate it

1. I'm getting some wild quotes on the import (Toronto to Kent). Has anyone brought a car in recently and be happy to share the cost breakdown. I have a good cost to get trailered to port and thru to Southampton, but the next step is proving to be vastly more expensive than I expected (ie unloading the non-shared container and getting it to the flat bed truck is being quoted at £1k not including the 5% VAT).

2. What is required to get the car up to scratch for a UK MOT. Obviously headlights, but what about brakelights and fog lights etc.

Apologies if any of the above is old ground, but I am a struggling a bit to pull this together.

Regards

Tim

Edited by Tim G

You're a bit sketchy and elliptical with the info provided (wild quote ???). Many on here including myself used Kingstown shipping who specialize in vehicles shipping. They will provide you with an all-in door-to-door quote and a cost breakdown as required. Excellent service, responsive and individualized. PoC Stephen Shores

Edited by Geko

Tim

Where abouts in Canada is the car coming from? I have info from Vancouver.

MOST IMPORTANT

When you get it to U.K. DO NOT loose those LHD headlights, there are many people in Spain etc. from U.K. who need to change their RHD headlights to LHD, and it can be a pain for us. I personally would be interested in buying them from you if somebody else don´t beat me to them, sorry I can´t offer an exchange on them for RHD as I got rid of mine years ago.

Dave

Tim.

Hi. Re brake lights (& Tail lights) up to you of course, but many forum users are pleased with the replacement LED rear bulbs which I make specifically for the TR 2-3B which use the Lucas L549 rear lamp unit.

Dave.

I have a pair of LHD sealed beam units if they are any use to you ?

Bob.

Tim,

I brought in a TR2 from Los Angeles in June.I used Hill Shipping on Sheppey.

Cost was around £2000 inclusive of additional marine insurance.(It's a long

way!).The car was in a shared container and off loaded into a covered (my request)

warehouse at a hauliers in Southampton.I arranged collection with the hauliers,

(basic ID required) turned up at their yard with car and trailer, loaded it up and home!

Hill also arranged the import duty (5%) and obtained the NOVA cert, just short of £700.

If your 3A is as early as you say, you won't need an MOT.Deep joy!

Roger M-E

Hi Tim,

Can you please keep me updated on your shipping experience, I want to ship a car from Alberta to Europe ( Antwerp) and would be very glad to receive some info about the process and company you're using.

Thanks,

Yves

Hi Yves

Drake´s Motors in Kelowna export a lot of cars via a chap in Vancouver, I take it you know of them and that they do a lot of TR´s buying in USA , rebuilding and selling on. Their website s Drake´s British Cars .co.ca.

Dave

Tim.

Hi. Re brake lights (& Tail lights) up to you of course, but many forum users are pleased with the replacement LED rear bulbs which I make specifically for the TR 2-3B which use the Lucas L549 rear lamp unit.

Dave.

I have a pair of LHD sealed beam units if they are any use to you ?

Bob.

Bob

You have a P.M. for an answer.

Dave