I had my carbs overhauled this year and now there is a leak at the junction of the float chamber with the main body of the carb.

Previously i had top hat washers and there were ok. The overhauled carbs. have new washers as an alternative but I lost a gallon of petrol in 15 miles. I was able to borrow a 4x post lift and the first thing my friend noticed was petrol on the ground. I had one old top hat washer and fitted it but there is still a slight leak.

Which is the best way to go, new top hat or the alternative replacement option.

Thanks

Richard & H.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I have the new stay up floats and there is insufficient petrol to keep them floating let alone leaking from the vent. My research shows that I have the alternative float chamber bolts which rely on steel and fibre washers and can be tightened as with a normal bolt. The top hat washers have a bolt with the shoulder providing a definite stop.

Has anyone a tip to cure the leak. I have some petrol resistant sealer and it is tempting to use it here. I can not be the only one with petrol problems.

Please let me have some advice so that I can make the local steam fair at the week end.

Thanks Richard & H.