tr6 fuel pump stuck?

Hi, the 6 has been idle for some months, I tried to start it for the MOT but the pump won't run; last year same problem and it ran after a light tap with a hammer, it ran ok subsequently, this time no such luck.

The wires are getting hot so it's drawing current, I loosened the bearing screw on the top but no dice.

There is petrol in the plastic pipe so I don't think it's dry but the fuel is a year old.

Is it old fuel, stuck with lack of use or a worn out motor?

If I can get it running I'm hoping it will free up with use. As I said it runs fine when it works.

Any help appreciated.... I'm sure this has happened to other 5/6 owners.

Thanks ken

Stale petrol turned to gum in the pump gears? - strip & clean.

Burnt scored or flatted commutator,? - skim/polish commutator.

Worn carbon brushes, - Renew

Tight or unlubricated bearings - Lubricate and reset armature end float.

the list can go on....

Peter W

If this is preventing you using the car Ken then i could lend you a bosch 996 pump while you have the old lucas pump rebuilt?

Or someone may have a 'spare' lucas??

Steve

Ps, you might try Redex to help clean gunge out if you do get it running. If the pump is gunged up then the mu/pipes/injectors are too!

Edited by SDerbyshire

Stale petrol turned to gum in the pump gears? - strip & clean.

Burnt scored or flatted commutator,? - skim/polish commutator.

Worn carbon brushes, - Renew

Tight or unlubricated bearings - Lubricate and reset armature end float.

the list can go on....

Peter W

Thank you Peter, I was hoping someone would have had the same problem and found a quick fix without surgery.

I will have to drain out the fuel (just put 5ltrs fresh in) and do a complete re-furb.

ken

If this is preventing you using the car Ken then i could lend you a bosch 996 pump while you have the old lucas pump rebuilt?

Or someone may have a 'spare' lucas??

Steve

Ps, you might try Redex to help clean gunge out if you do get it running. If the pump is gunged up then the mu/pipes/injectors are too!

Thank you Steve, very kind of you to offer.

As the winter is fast approaching I'll make it a winter job, I was hoping to use it this month after finally getting my sons Porsche 944 off the axle stands in front of the garage.

I'll need to find out if the TRR insurance is valid without a current MOT. (Garaged of course.)

I won't take you up on your kind offer but I'll keep it in mind.

Regards ken

• 3 weeks later...

Update to my stuck fuel pump saga... I drained the fuel and removed the pump. The pump was the problem....seized, I poured new fuel in and it turned reluctantly at first. I then gave it a good squirt of carb cleaner. There was no noticeable gunge come out but it turns fine now.

I will give it more cleaning before I re-assemble.

The motor was a little burnt where it had been making contact.

I thought I'd replace the brush plate but can't see one for sale.... Anybody know where I might find one please?.... It would save me hunting for the tiny springs behind the brushes. One flew out the other has since disappeared too.

Maybe it was fortunate this problem occurred because I first tried clamping the plastic feed pipe to the filter and it split immediately, so the plastic pipes must all be brittle. I will change them all with modern petrol hose.

I seem to recall a post which mentioned cleaning the fuel filter as opposed to fitting a new one. Any thoughts?

So modern petrol has poor lubrication properties and rots old rubber and plastic. Well we all knew that, but do we change our non metal fuel lines or put lubricant in to help with PI system!!!!

Cheers Ken

Update to my stuck fuel pump saga... I drained the fuel and removed the pump. The pump was the problem....seized, I poured new fuel in and it turned reluctantly at first. I then gave it a good squirt of carb cleaner. There was no noticeable gunge come out but it turns fine now.

I will give it more cleaning before I re-assemble.

The motor was a little burnt where it had been making contact.

I thought I'd replace the brush plate but can't see one for sale.... Anybody know where I might find one please?.... It would save me hunting for the tiny springs behind the brushes. One flew out the other has since disappeared too.

Maybe it was fortunate this problem occurred because I first tried clamping the plastic feed pipe to the filter and it split immediately, so the plastic pipes must all be brittle. I will change them all with modern petrol hose.

I seem to recall a post which mentioned cleaning the fuel filter as opposed to fitting a new one. Any thoughts?

So modern petrol has poor lubrication properties and rots old rubber and plastic. Well we all knew that, but do we change our non metal fuel lines or put lubricant in to help with PI system!!!!

Cheers Ken

To answer my own question.... the brush set for these pumps is not available but they use the wiper motor set which has 3 wires, the third one is not used for the fuel pump application.

I called Revington... the brushes are shorter than original so won't last as long.

ken

To answer my own question.... the brush set for these pumps is not available but they use the wiper motor set which has 3 wires, the third one is not used for the fuel pump application.

I called Revington... the brushes are shorter than original so won't last as long.

ken

Talk to Neil Ferguson and see what he says about them 07977001571 he refurbishes PI Equipment including the pumps.

Stuart.

Thanks, Ken, for reviving this topic to report the outcome. I had the same situation, car left overwinter, the pump ran, but could only keep pressure up to about 75psi. It was a Bosch, so only destructive dismantling. I made up a strong mixture of fresh fuel with injector cleaner and ran that through the pump and back into a fuel can again, over half an hour or so, then left the cleaner in it overnight. This improved the pressure that it could achieve, but only to about 90psi, and the engine would run but not accelerate.

I resorted to a new Bosch.

I think this shows the peril of modern fuel, and I'll use some stabiliser next winter.

John

Edited by john.r.davies