Traction Concepts LSD ?

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this product as an LSD.

is it too budget or too risky or false economy to try.

Given the crazy cost of Quaife and Tran-x etc

http://www.tractionconcepts.com/1955-1957-Triumph-TR3-Limited-Slip-LSD-Kit-p/tctr4153.htm

On the other hand does anyone out there have a TR3a 1959 lsd they would consider selling.

H

I am sure that Moss once sold or still sell a similar product that was being tested on 1 of the race TR4s.

Never did hear the outcome but so much less cost than LSD and required no adjustments after set up.

Hi Hamish

Snake Oil, or what ever the mechanical equivalent is. Try a search on Phantom LSD (its the same thing) and read the horror stories, and the joke that they called it Phantom because that is exactly what the effect appears to be, apart from probably wrecking your diff.

If your really set on an LSD then either Quaife (which isn't really as its a torque biasing diff) or if you want plate type then the Gripper LSD's are quite good and not quite as expensive as Quaife. There are other good expensive makes out there if your wallet is thick enough!

NB. If this is for the sprint/hill climb car I only make the following comment, I fitted one and felt it improved things greatly, then I removed it to drop back to roadgoing and went as quick if not quicker. How much advantage they bring I'm now not sure, if you have a lot of spinning wheel problems then might be worth considering, however that can sometimes be your car telling you that you don't quite have the the suspension set up optimally yet!

Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks for the input. I think you are probably right about the set up issues.

I don't pretend to have the experience or know enough on this side of things. Whilst Known suppliers have the set up package for my car it is nearly £3k and out of my league. But of course I can do it a bit at a time and build it up.

At the moment I'm not sure of the order or priority.

Or even if I should go back to near stock and work from there ?

May be a track day with someone experienced in these things is a way forward.

Sprints and hills just aren't long enough to work it all out. Let alone when the fuel pump gives up half way up a hill ??! !

But it's a fun learning curve. I just need to put my few pounds into the right things.

H

In my experience, the Quaife ATB is not only effective, but bulletproof.

On my old car, now gone to Great Garage in the Sky, I drove to Classic Le Mans, and there, the key that held the halfshaft to the hub broke up. All the drive was to one wheel. In any other diff. LSD or not, I would have been stationary, as that shaft whizzed around fruitlessly in the hub. In fact I didn't notice the difference, until driving home, the car went sower and slower, until I could go no further, three quarters of the way to the Channel. I thought I had clutch slip.

When I got it home, and found what had happened, I assumed that the Quaife must be worn out by the exertion of driving so far on one wheel, so I sent it to Quiafe to be rebuilt. They reported, "No wear found" and made a paltry charge for dismantling and rebuilding it.

See? Bulletproof!

John

I also have some experience of a Quaife ATB diff, albeit in ahem a midget. The ATB is guaranteed for life but does not work quite like a plate diff, I think if you cock a wheel it will not work but if you are on tarmac that should not be too bad. I felt that it made the handling a bit taughter.

The only other thing to bear in mind is that additional stresses are put on the rest of the drive train......after fitting the ATB I broke a halfshaft on a classic rally and unlike john D's event it stopped the car completely. After fitting uprated half shafts I went on to break a first gear tooth doing an autotest. Make sure that the gearbox and drive train can take the strain if you intend to use it in anger. A Quaife ATB for a midget was a little over £500 a couple of years ago, sometimes there are '20% off' offers around.

Good luck and have fun.

John S

You gotta remember, an LSD gives a degree of lock to the rear axle that means enhanced drive ie two non steering wheels which want to go in one direction only...forwards, that means more understeer because they overpower the steering end of the car...the front.

They don't do corners, you have to modify the rear tyre slip angles and lose some of the grip by application of...more power, we can alter the cars attitudes on racetracks easily, you have the space and carry the speed through the corners, not so easy on a public road.

You stand every chance of being disappointed and spoiling a road cars handling, think it out carefully.

Mick Richards

When I ran Jaguars as everyday road cars all the ones I had were fitted with Salisbury LSD`s and as Mick says you do have to remember how much difference it makes when on the road as it will try to push you straight on into a corner, good for track use though.

Stuart.

Interesting! Perhaps the small resistance of the shaft spinning in the hub, enabled it to 'torque bias' towards the functional wheel? And the gradual loss of drive due to the Hub/shaft wear diminishing that drag?

John

• 2 weeks later...

This was the traction concepts reply to an enquiry. Including that they don't list the 1959 tr3

"Thank you for reaching out to us. Based on your traction needs, it seems our product is perfect for what your looking for. Our lsd conversion kits work well on the sprint & hill climb scene, and engage in the cornering and braking time, which is handy to allow for accelerating as well.

As far as the years, it seems like the listing needed to be updated and now reflects correctly including your years.

International shipping is $54, 6-10 business days, lower value, ($199) as gift on customs form.

Let me know if you need more info,

-Gina"

Don't play games with Customs forms values . . . . .

For one they probably know more than you do about the value of any item you care to name, no matter how obscure . . . . .

For two they make the rules and apply them as they see fit, your rights of appeal are for all practical purposes non-existent . . . .

For three, trying to take the mick out of of Customs can be a seriously long term error . . . . never underestimate HMRC . . . .

For four, you are in line for being charged with a criminal offence and all that implies . . . .

For five, that 'written down' value will be the maximum you can possibly claim from whatever carrier in the event of loss or damage . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Hi Alec.

I had already ruled out this product based on above feedback. But I had already made an online enquiry.

I didn't even mention import duty. That is something they volunteered and their methods in dealing with it is interesting to say the least as you have mentioned.

Hope you enjoyed spa and aren't too knac****ed but note the time of you posting !!

Look after yourself

H

Edited by Hamish

Hi i have a plate salisbury lsd in my 3 and quaife in the 250.[ irs ]

As soon as the quaife diffs hit water or loses traction or by raising a wheel they go back to ordinary diff workings.In the 3 with a quaife fitted it was always spinning a rear wheel when not loaded ie hard corners

on an IRS car without a rear anti roll bar fitted this should be ok which is why i tried that route.Also when set up no servicing required.

In competition i would now chose LSD.

Or in germany i believe the lock their diffs.

ROY

As soon as the quaife diffs hit water or loses traction or by raising a wheel they go back to ordinary diff workings.In the 3 with a quaife fitted it was always spinning a rear wheel when not loaded ie hard corners

on an IRS car without a rear anti roll bar fitted this should be ok which is why i tried that route.Also when set up no servicing required.

ROY

Or like we used to do banger racing in the 70`s a stick welder through the drain plug hole and weld it solid! :lol: :lol: :lol::ph34r:

Stuart.

ROY

They do ;) no good on track as you know LSD is what it says on the tin,for me plates and adjust blocking as required.