Washer Switch

Hi all

The windscreen washer switch on my CP TR6 has given up the ghost. Does any one know were I could get a replacement from that doesn’t cost silly money? Moss sell them for £30 + VAT ! Not sure if this is the right switch as its listed for TR6 NAS models.

Any help much appreciated

Philip

Philip, very little response on your querry, for good reasons. I'm afraid that it will be impossible to find a new one of the same type. The model on the market these days is wider than the early Clear Hooters, the same goes for the wiper switch on the early TR6s. The good news is that exactly the same switch was used on different cars for different applications. Last year at the occasion of the International I spotted exactly the same switch, but showing a rear window heater icon, it probably came from any kind of Saloon. So, I would advise you to have a look around at shows or pay a visit to a car dump, it might be the only direction to find one.

The alternative is to purchase the newer model and enlarge the hole in the dash.

Jean

Hi Jean

I thought the switch must have been fitted to other vehicle types but was not sure. I didn’t know that later TR6s had different size switches, that is useful info.

Will try to make time to go to the Triumph show at Stoneleigh Park 12th Feb and have a look for one there.

Thanks Jean for taking the time to reply

Philip.

Hi Philip,

I had exactly the same problem with a clear hooters headlight switch on my CR series TR6.

It meant lots of filing. It takes ages! but if you persevere you eventually get there. I kept coming back to it and did an hour at a time to break up the job or i think I'd have gone mad! I fitted a toggle switch that dangled under the dash until the job was done so I could still drive the car.

You might be able to use another clear hooters switch as Jean suggests! It might also be easy to dismantle the new switch and replace the rocker with the old one on your car.

The lucas switch (the wider body!) is a far better design. The clear hooters headlight switch I think was withdrawn from the US market. I read somewhere a BL note that called them back. They had a special tool that would cut a hole in the dash to save the filing. I wonder if someone has one of these?

Good luck!

Neil

Early Austin Maxis had the same switch set up - but there are less of them than TR's !!

They do crop up every now and then - I picked up a pair at the International for a tenner . Ebay USA sometimes have them but you need to keep looking . I have not found one at an autojumble yet and go to many . Good luck . My car was running on toggle switches for about 4 years till I got replacements.

The slow speed position on my original wiper switch was intermittent & lazy so I though I had nothing to lose by opening it up & having a look inside. After cleaning up the contacts & bending the spring strips a bit, it worked perfectly. You may have to break some plastic lugs to get in but you can easily stick the thing back together again afterwards. It’s surprising what you can mend once inside, even if the bits are bastardised from another switch.

Thanks for the further replies, some useful info there. To be honest I had never heard of Clear Hooters, I thought Lucas had made all the switches, but then I’m new to all this TR stuff.

I had taken the switch apart with a view to repair but there was to much broken plastic. It really is a poor design. Ideally I would like to replace the switch if only to avoid adding yet another toggle switch to the growing number under the dash! Perhaps some metal filing is the way to go , I’ll see what turns up at the triumph shows.

Philip

Richard, this is more or less what I did when my wiper switch failed. The washer switch is more simple.

Following years of use in a the rainy climat my wiper switch suffered of a plastic body melt down at the hight of the contacts, and here the intact body taken from a window heater switch entered the game.

Taking care not to produce too much damage I transplanted the interiors of the wiper switch into the newly acquired body and bonded all together. Now the wipers work again :)

Jean

• 10 months later...
  • 10 years later...

Hi Steve

The socket on one side of the housing that the rocking part of the switch locates in has broken, so the rocking part won't stay located and rock. Hope that's understandable. Not sure why it broke, as I was simply using it as usual. Presumably the socket becomes brittle over time and just gives in.

Gordon

Steve

Saw it, but no, I have now got the switch off the car and would like to talk to you about my options including possible repair and what it is I'm looking for on EBay for example is this one suitable:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/TRIUMPH-TR6-clear-hooters-switch/332128690402?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&_trksid=p2050601.c100103.m2451&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150422114059%26meid%3Deceb76921f6b47dda0941d2892b5c31b%26pid%3D100103%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D182459666407%26clkid%3D2727039829048623317&_qi=RTM2065547

Can you give me a phone number, please, and I'll give you a call. Alternatively send me an email to gordon@victorias.freeserve.co.uk.

Gordon