TR6 Emergency bonnet release

Replace it with a length of bowden cable!

Ask how I know!!

Also, check the pivot of the release fork runs in the correct sweep/contact angle, or it can go past the notch it needs to catch in.

Then you could have 2 stuck catches.......! (not mine, but someone else!)

Andrews H Robinson job may be a perfect option, the Moss unit does work as well.

I made my own, but put the cam "Inside" the bonnet lock fabrication. Worked OK, you never will use the pull cable again once the mod is fitted.

Should have been done at the design stage.

Hi Mike,

when installed the 'pull' wire is on the outboard side of the bonnet latch so shouldn't be near the battery.

It is close to the steering column but not close enough to do harm.

Hi Andrew,

your cheapo release has a serious problem. If your nipple pulls out then you lose both the normal and emergency release, They do pull out.

The sider positioned cam lever is the better arangement.

Roger

This is all you need, all my TR6s have had this contingency fitted - no drilling holes!

20953282_10210302166005741_1073363380388

Cheers

Andrew

Exactly what I did, didn't cost a thing!

Replace it with a length of bowden cable!

Ask how I know!!

Also, check the pivot of the release fork runs in the correct sweep/contact angle, or it can go past the notch it needs to catch in.

Then you could have 2 stuck catches.......! (not mine, but someone else!)

Isn't it a bowden cable anyway?

I also have one like Andrews that I fitted back in 1978 not long after I first got the car. The original however works so easily that I never had to use it and touch wood the nipple hasn't fallen off and is a failure that I haven't heard of before.

cheers

Derek

post-5831-0-88865600-1503489643_thumb.jpgpost-5831-0-72632100-1503489799_thumb.jpgpost-5831-0-79570700-1503489833_thumb.jpgA very satisfying mod to give piece of mind.

Another good mod is to relocate the bonnet release to the drivers side,so eliminating 60% of the cable length and giving a more positive movement.

Dave

Isn't it a bowden cable anyway?

No

The Moss release is a lever (rod) assembly attached to a rotating cam lever arrangement.

Once correctly 'fettled', to take all the slop out of the pivot, it works well, but the lever does not lend itself to convenient location/fitting.

I replaced the lever with bowden cable.

Tidy solution as fitted to Dave IOW`s TR5

Stuart.

post-3753-0-57527300-1503502157_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-97133800-1503502158_thumb.jpg

Edited by stuart

I went with the Moss one - had to fettle the cam a bit + for the main bonnet pull, I bought an independent bonnet release cable and routed it to a bracket/fitted under the steering wheel and made a s/s bracket - fitted that to the front of the clutch master cylinder to support the cable. Nice an easy position to pull the bonnet.

post-391-0-75909400-1503566557_thumb.jpg

post-391-0-06748400-1503566580_thumb.jpg

best Bill

Edited by Bill Bourne