I am about to replace my timing chain and presumably the tensioner. I have a Iwis chain so that should be nice and smooth against the tensioner. But if I need to replace the tensioner is there a part out there that is made of better quality steel?

Most newer vehicles use a plastic material as a tensioner surface is there such an item for the TR6? I think the Mini has a similar item but believe that is for a single row chain.

If my current tensioner is good I will be re-using.

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams

+1

I've had some really nasty tensioners over the last few years that have worn dramatically in a short period of time - I'm currently using one of Darryl's uprated versions - I haven't had the front off yet to know what it looks like now its got a few thousand miles completed, I'll be interested to see if it is better than the others.

Can't go wrong with the Iwis chain though...

John,

Not started dismantling yet so I do not know the state of the existing item. I like to get the parts to hand before I start a job so I do not get held up. Yes the existing one may be in good condition but it is such a cheap item (the clue is in the name) to have if needed. Yes the reports of poor quality are alarming as the work needed to replace a poor item in a couple of years is disproportionate to the part's cost.

So quite happy to invest in a better quality item if such exists.

John (2)

Who is Darryl ?

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams

Hi Folks,

'feeling' an old tensioner and comparing to a modern equivalent does produce a difference.

The new item may be a touch thinner but I haven't measured them.

I was chatting to somebody who knows his onions at one of the big suppliers and says he has had no complaints and feels the problem may lay in the cheap chains

that have sharp edges.

The IWIS chain is well finished and so shouldn't cut into the tensioner.

Roger

This morning I have been speaking to Andy "The Chain man" really knowledgeable he tells me that when the tensioner wears it can be a not too bad because then the chain drops down into the tensioner and the tensioner runs against the hard rollers in the chain. I had thought a worn tensioner was scrap but perhaps not.

Source of IWIS chains for TR's http://www.the-chain-man.co.uk/

Just a customer

Alan