Difference Gap between B post end door,frame problem

HI every body

New on this forum but owner since many years of Triumph in France,

I have lift up my TR6 with jack stand under the fram,so the gap on the bof top B post open and when I lift with my hand the rear of the car near the rear bumper the gap

decrease.I think that i have problem of frame,purhaps near the Tshirt

I think that I will take off the body to see where the problem Is .

Thanks for your comments

Hi Triumph83,

Welcome to the forum. What is your name?

The TR6 chassis will sag a little when jacked up.

What is the gap like when on the ground?

Assuming no excessive rust on the chassis. It is possible to increase the number or replace, if corroded, the packing pieces between the shell and the chassis .

I hope this helps,

Kind Regards,

Dave from a hot sunny Spain

Hello Triumph83,

As Dave explained, to adjust the gap, you can play w/ the number of packing pieces between the frame and the shell.

But if the concern is a large gap "variation" with the car on the wheels vs on the jack stands, the problem is on the frame side.

To confirm (or not) the issue (and our discussion & analysis), please to provide pictures and measurement (on the wheels vs on the jack stands). For your information the frame of my TR6 have been restored & strengthened and is very solid with no noticeable variation (on wheels vs on jack stands) but few others TR6 owners may help you our your investigation.

Regards,

As far as I know on many cars the door gaps were terribly bad. On my TR6, the door gap at the B post on the drivers side was over 1cm at the top and around 5mm at the bottom. The car must have come like this from the factory as I bought it when it was around 2 1/2 years old... :)

About 20 years ago I contacted a friend restorer to do something about it. As Dave mentioned he fitted some shims between the body and chassis on the drivers side. But it took him a few days to adjust all other gaps as adding shims on one side will change the other good gaps too... ;)

But I must say there is some flexing in the chassis/body when the car is lifted, in fact any convertible with seperate chassis should not be lifted with the doors open... :(

My car also suffer from this, but as I hear this was normal also on brand new cars I'm not too concerned. But if I had the space and the time I would have taken the body off to strengthen the chassis or even replace it with a brand new one, I guess the car would also drive better with a strong chassis.

Magnus

Edited by TRseks