Carbon fibre works brilliantly in a composite collection of panels and especially when "bonded" or glued for fixing. Because of the difficulty affixing the carbon fibre to the frame and especially because it will have to be in 3 pieces to allow the small panels over the wheelarches to close off the areas there, the carbon fibre will have to be riveted and especially to the inner wing closing panels. I'm not sure how the carbon fibre will take forces in shear being put through the rivets, the alloy sheet would allow buckling without tearing and still clamp through the rivets whereas the carbon fibre may suffer from rivet head pull through and lose it's strength.

Mick Richards

Carbon fibre works brilliantly in a composite collection of panels and especially when "bonded" or glued for fixing. Because of the difficulty affixing the carbon fibre to the frame and especially because it will have to be in 3 pieces to allow the small panels over the wheelarches to close off the areas there, the carbon fibre will have to be riveted and especially to the inner wing closing panels. I'm not sure how the carbon fibre will take forces in shear being put through the rivets, the alloy sheet would allow buckling without tearing and still clamp through the rivets whereas the carbon fibre may suffer from rivet head pull through and lose it's strength.

Mick Richards

Yes agreed and thus Ali is simplest solution

Back to this.

FYI Waldi has now posted a seperate thread for pipe work though it doesn't cover all piping. (Injector pipes for example).

Still think there is quite a lot of rubber along the lines we are not thinking about enough and in particular the MU and seals.

Please remember it only takes one leak.

And to close off the original question, despite all the dire predictions 20 years ago, valve seat recession due to unleaded has proved to be pretty much a non event for TR6 engines.

Yes Mike. I just refitted my rocker shaft and valve gaps showed no differences.

I wonder if 20years of valve master was even need either?

Still think more needs looking at regards every single bit of rubber the petrol comes into contact with....

• 1 month later...

Bingley was a wise man and many years ago he sent me some nice documetation regards setting up stuff and tuning on the fly.

But he did have some different views.

One I remember was running two Lucas pumps together....

I used to suffer vaporisation in the eighties and took the two Lucas pump solution run in series and didn't have any more problems, thanks to Mr Bingley