Moto Lita Steering Wheel & Horn challenge

H Nick,

I'd happily check for you, but I dropped my car off this morning to have a spot of paint done.

The area/bolt pattern is the same as the motalita boss - still have the Same motalita wheel and fasteners on it.

I'll gladly measure for you, but I probably won't get the car back in my hands until late next week.

....... Andy

You didn't show a picture of the inside of the horn button. There should be something metal in there which completes the circuit between the centre rivet and the big spring, when you push on the horn button.

Hi

If you look at pictures 2,3&4 going left to right which I upload you see the horn. The one with the button has no contacts inside, the housing has a spring and a red wire which will go to the 'pencil' which I ordered from Moto Lita. The housing remains static and when you press the horn as I see it - it makes no circuit connection or difference inside.

Ill take a few more pics. Thanks so much fellow TR owners!

I was meaning this sort of thing (sketch attached). You could only make it work if there was some metal plate inside the horn-push which contacts the rivet when you press on the button (or if the horn push was itself made of metal, but it looks plastic in the photo).

post-7865-0-50645400-1502697888_thumb.jpg

Hi

Spoke to a very helpful mota-lita and they said, after looking at pictures said they had no idea what the unit I was using was. I was advised to get their new horn button and pencil for a moto-lita. Price was pretty goof.

Lets the Royal mail and Danish post work its business and I will give an update of if the parcel helps!

Thanks to all for their help so far :-)

Rich

Here are a few pics, although the angle doesn't look perfect, the opposite holes are 4" apart - although they are not quite opposite, but that is the proper moto-lita pattern

.... Andy

post-13122-0-63636700-1503253544_thumb.jpg

post-13122-0-80123300-1503253559_thumb.jpg

post-13122-0-44161800-1503253571_thumb.jpg

post-13122-0-96364500-1503253584_thumb.jpg

Thanks Andy

Looking at the last pic, how does the wire to the pencil then connect to the ground of the steering wheel?

Rich

The insert with the horn button pushes into the steering wheel hub and is held there with some spring wire. That spring wire is the ground connection to the steering wheel hub.

Stan

Figured! Is it this rewarding owning a TR6? When it beeped I jumped around like a kid . . all for a car horn!!!

Anyway my reflections are do not always trust what's installed by previous owner and appreciate the great guys on this forum - else I'd be stumbling in the dark still.

Only issue is pencil is tiny bit short so does not beep always. but this is fixable with a washer or a bit of packing with tape.

Thanks all - and also great service from the Moto-Lita help number, really good service and they also dropped in some nice new bolts for a fiver.

Rich