Help with an engine number

I am the custodian of a TR with Commission number TS10959, build date 17 April 1956, it has drum brakes all round, so possibly a TR2 chassis, but definitely now with a TR3 body. Body Number 843977 and a plate reading EB10837

I would like help identifying what sort of engine I have in my car, the old DVLA document from 1983 states engine should be TS11318E However the plate reads TSA30FR. dated 6 Feb. 1959

FR Is this a factory rebuilt unit?

Seems a tad soon to change the engine

Any advice, help, suggestions (polite ones) gratefully received

Cheers, Keith

TS number, and EB body number (and drum brakes) all

consistent with an early-ish TR3.

Early TR2 engines had a few design flaws and were often

driven 'energeticaly' so no surprise to find a factory recon

engine even in the early days..

The FR plate rivetted to the block should show details of

shell oversizes and, hopefully, whether or not camshaft

bearings were fitted.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Thank you Stan and AlanR, I thought that FR might mean that, but the number is pretty low and that made me wonder whether it was possible.

The plate shows all bores, shells, bearings are 0 oversize, so standard dimensions. I will have another look to see if the plate mentions camshaft bearings.

And I really appreciate finding out that the car probably did start life as a TR3, I didn’t know that early TR3s had all round drums.

I will let you know about the camshafts.

Best, Keith

Keith, we'd love to see a photo of your FRE plate. Those aren't that common and are always interesting.

For info, here's a FRE plate on the engine of a TR3 belonging to one of our forum members:

i-XvTTKzN.jpg

Keith,

From memory, TR3s started at TS 8609 and disc brakes

came in at TS 13045. TR3As came in at TS 22014.

A little unusual, perhaps, that the FR plate shows all

standard bearings. Makes you wonder why it's an FR.

But remember - such an early FR number must have

been issued in the mid 50s so don't assume it's still

the same!

AlanR

My '3 (TS9551) body No. 842442 was made in December 1955, & has a factory recon engine No.TSA709FRE all bores & journals are standard.

So all your numbers look OK to me

Bob.

Hmmm. I'm wondering what the extra letters mean on my plate (see Don's photo above)?

Mine Tom's

TSA 709 FRE TS 545 FR

STD F STD

STD -10

STD HP -20

Bob.

HP? High Port? Do these engines have the high port head?

Was a FRE unit "short" or "Full" engine?

Just a thought.

Iain

Edited by iain

My Engine no, is also Factory rebuild.

car commision no TS8169

Engine no; TSA221FRE

Cyl. Bores; STD G

Main Journals; -010

Big Eng Journals; -020

will post a picture later, also the engine colour was Blue,

The letters after the bore sizes would indicate piston "Grades" When you strip them the letters will be stamped on the crown, it denotes very slight differences in sizing.

Stuart.

The letters after the bore sizes would indicate piston "Grades" When you strip them the letters will be stamped on the crown, it denotes very slight differences in sizing.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

"F" "G" and "H" were certainly the piston grades, but "HP"?

Iain

More than 50 years ago my Father was told that when the factory ran out of reusable engine blocks they would fit rebuild plates on new engines and put them into the exchange system to meet demand.

Regards, Colin

& the E after FR

Hi Bob

That's interesting there is no "E" in my parts books......was there an "E" Grade :unsure:

Iain

Edited by iain

Just a thought, but maybe the E after FR, donates

That the engine may have been a earlier block without clamshells, and converted to clamshell engine, and perhaps a couple more mods, from the early blocks.

Thank you to everyone for helpful replies, here is my engine plate, no mention of camshaft bearings and plain TSA30FR, without an E. But unlike the others it is dated: 6 Feb. 1959. Note the rivet head!

This engine has recently been rebuilt, including pistons and liners so bores are still standard.

Keith

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNLMTIbY2fb_9emkEvCULr4igfqfOhka8MMsu5x

• 2 months later...

Hello, new member here from Birmingham, UK. To my surprise I see that ptr2 has my Fathers old car TS8169, he replaced the engine in 1966 after big end failure. I think it was a FRE but will ask for more details when I see him next.

Paul.

Edited by C3s

I almost couldn't believe it myself, had to blink twice! I remember seeing a photo of the car somewhere from about 1968, will work on that one. Totally agree with the internet and car clubs to keep the enthusiasm alive.

Paul.

I think it is fantastic that the registration plate stays with the car in the UK. Here in Canada, well Ontario anyway, the plate comes off the car when sold, it can then get put on the next one you own, or get handed back in. in what other countries does the plate stay with the car?