Aero screens on a tr3a

Hi

I would like to fit aero screens and drill the body for the fittings prior to painting

Does anyone have the measurements for the holes?

Thanks

Tony

Tony

Surely your TR3A is already drilled for aero screens, mine is, and was but I don't have them, so I just put bolts through the holes and put dome nuts on top ( behind the screen.)

BTW mine is a 1958 early body with the red and black medallion, commission no TS28650L.

Dave

Tony

Surely your TR3A is already drilled for aero screens, mine is, and was but I don't have them, so I just put bolts through the holes and put dome nuts on top ( behind the screen.)

BTW mine is a 1958 early body with the red and black medallion, commission no TS28650L.

Dave

Unfortunately they were deleted by the time they got to late TS 50xxx.

Stuart.

Hi

I would like to fit aero screens and drill the body for the fittings prior to painting

Does anyone have the measurements for the holes?

Thanks

Tony

Stan Foster should have the measurements for them as he fitted them to his later car.

Stuart.

Tony, why not get your aeroscreens first and use those to determine the hole spacing needed? The original aeroscreens are rare, the modern ones spaced wider (IIRC). If you drill the holes to match original spacing it might make fitting reproduction screens more difficult.

With the screens in hand this question becomes trivial.

Stan Foster should have the measurements for them as he fitted them to his later car.

Stuart.

Tony, PM me your email address and I'll send you some pictures and explain how I retrofitted the holes and cage nuts to my post 60K scuttle.There is a brief description here:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/rebuilders-diary/2015/09/0015/1960-TR3A-Restoration-Retrofitting-aeroscreens

Stan

Tony,

Most important you decide whether you are fitting the original/replica Stanpart type

aeroscreens on the original type of trunnions, or the later 'Brooklands'

or 'Aeroscreen' type commonly available, either on replica factory type aero

screen trunnions or the universal efforts they are supplied with.

Until you decide which, any measurements are somewhat arbitrary!

Roger M-E

Tony, why not get your aeroscreens first and use those to determine the hole spacing needed? The original aeroscreens are rare, the modern ones spaced wider (IIRC). If you drill the holes to match original spacing it might make fitting reproduction screens more difficult.

With the screens in hand this question becomes trivial.

I have the Brooklands type on my late 3A and the feet are close to the edge of the capping and with the screen vent in the centre equally spaced to each foot. Note that I fitted rubber flaps to the base of the screens to prevent rainwater coming underneath.

post-7865-0-98427500-1502197326_thumb.jpg

Peter Wigglesworth, now retired but for many years with Cox & Buckles and then Moss, is the man who makes the mountings and has an immense amount of all things TR.

I feel sure he will spot this posting and contribute.

Ian Cornish

Peter Wigglesworth, now retired but for many years with Cox & Buckles and then Moss, is the man who makes the mountings and has an immense amount of all things TR.

I feel sure he will spot this posting and contribute.

Ian Cornish

and if not, i added his account for a PM just below my pictures ;)

Thanks all

I now have all the info to move forward

Yet again a great forum response!

Thanks again

Tony

Sorry for being late on parade, been camping in the rain......I do have a sketch of the hole positions, but it looks like you are sorted.

A couple of simple things to watch out for:-

1. There is a channel shaped reinforcer under the scuttle leading back from the hinge mounts on my 1958 car, the outer cage nut is welded to this. Be sure that when you drill, your hole is far enough from the flange to allow a nut to fit.

2. Before any drilling, test fit by hand the aeroscreens in their chosen mounting brackets with the windscreen in place - to be sure that the brackets do not touch the screen frame or the trim capping. That way you can confirm your chosen drilling positions.

Please Note - My brackets are designed so the windscreen can be fitted without removing the aeroscreens, and machined so the rear edge of the bracket does not touch the trim capping. - There were a batch of cast aluminium ones around a while back that sat on or touched the trim capping when they were fitted.

Cheers

Peter W

Thanks all

I now have all the info to move forward

Yet again a great forum response!

Thanks again

Tony

Be sure to update us on your final decisions about aeroscreen positions on your scuttle panel, Tony -- it's sure to be of interest to those who have followed this thread and to be of value to someone in the future who's searching for information on the subject. Edited by Don H.

Hi Peter

I would be interested in your sketch

The more info the better before i get drilling!

Attached pdf docs - these are from my 1958 car.

Double check before you drill!!!

E & OE

Positioning fixings small.pdf

Scuttletop TRv2 flat.pdf

Peter W

Hi Peter

Thanks for the info

Just a quick question

Why do i need different mounting brackets to those that are supplied?

Is it a matter of strength?

Tony

Hi Peter

Thanks for the info

Just a quick question

Tony

The set that comes with repro brookland aeroscreens are meant to be drilled and mounted with 2 screw per brackets rather than bolted with one per bracket.

Of course you can use that but not really original looks, and more definite. Besides that i believe they sit higher above the scuttle?

Edited by EdwinTiben

Hi Peter

Thanks for the info

Just a quick question

Tony

My bracket set is specifically made to replicate the original style supplied by Standard Triumph that fit to the factory provided mounting holes on the TR2-3-3A up to about TS50k. They enable aftermarket aeroscreens to be fitted to these mounting bolt holes without any drilling of the scuttle top.

The universal brackets supplied with all aftermarket aeroscreens require the user to attach those mountings with self tapping screws, requiring drilling through the scuttle top. regardless of whether the car has original mounting bolt holes.

Peter W

Hi Peter

Thanks for the info

Just a quick question

Tony

Take a look at the picture in RobH's earlier reply

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/63069-aero-screens-on-a-tr3a/?p=542654

It shows the pedestal supplied with the Brooklands repro screens attached to the scuttle with sheet metal screws. Nothing wrong with that if you have a later car with no provision for aeroscreens. Peters mounts allow someone with an earlier car to use the repro screens with the original mounting holes or someone doing a full resto to add the standard mounts to the scuttle and then attach the repro aeroscreens using the original bolts instead of the sheet metal screws.

Stan