Vent pull screws

What were the original screws that held the vent/scuttle escutcheon in the image? Philips, straight?

My body-shop thought new shiny ones were nicer than the old original ones and replaced them! Now, I have to try and get old ones somewhere. Unfortunately, they did the same in other places, but I have to start somewhere...

post-14128-0-19118600-1501775608_thumb.png

Edited by qim

Exactly as Bob says -- raised or oval head nickel-plated for sure. Probably somewhere around a number 8 screw, about 1/2"

There are a few crosshead style screws on an original sidescreen car -- but less than two hands worth. When in doubt, there is no doubt -- go with slotted.

Is the car with or without a wooden re-inforcer?

The correct screw was a chromed, raised head countersunk with a single slot.

Either a wood screw (for wood reinforced) or a PK pattern (if there are spire nuts clipped to the trim rail.)

Peter W

Yep - as above. Slotted raised countersink - what used to be called "instrument head" .

post-7865-0-88880600-1501782762_thumb.jpg

Is the car with or without a wooden re-inforcer?

il.)

Peter W

There, you got me... I don't think there is any wood in that area behind the dashboard.

I wonder if anyone has original screws and would not mind parting with them for a small charge, of course.

Camilo

...The correct screw was a chromed, raised head countersunk with a single slot...

I'll trust ya on chromed, Peter -- you're really good at this stuff. My screws have a "softer" nickel look, but hey, they're 55 years old or more. The SPC4E shows only the vent pull assembly, as far as I can tell, so no details traceable back to the Standard-Triumph fastener catalog.

Camilo, I keep waiting to see the blue banner appear under your name showing that you've joined the TRR as a member. That's gotta be coming, yes?...

Come on Camilo you are getting into fine detail but have not joined the club. We are looking after you and you should be looking after us.

I will check with my local supplier of nuts and bolts and let you know if we can supply a suitable screw.

Richard & H.

mea culpa, mea culpa!

In fact, I was a TRRegister member when I lived in the UK. Somehow dues were forgotten when I left.

I am in Andorra, at the moment, but will be driving to Portugal tomorrow. The matter will be dealt with next week.

Regards

Camilo

You are already talking to a TR-Register fully paid member!

Contact the office if you dont see your forum status update. They use email address to tie your forum account to your TR register membership and it can take a while for things to sync up. If you registered in the forum with a different email address from the one you used for your TR Reg membership they may never sync up without manual intervention from the office.

Stan

Number 6 screws, ½-inch, countersunk, oval head, chrome plated. For a "late" car, at least -- although exactly what defines late I can't be sure. My car is fershure late!

i-Rh7CjTr-X3.jpg

Welcome to the club, Camilo. Or back to the club, as the case is. We're happy to have you as a member of our community!

I could not find the correct chromed screws with slotted heads so I used chromed countersunk Phillips head screws which are available in every hardware store. It only bothers me slightly.

Stan

Hi Stan

Thanks. I will order the correct ones from Moss if I can't get original ones.

Number 6 screws, ½-inch, countersunk, oval head, chrome plated. For a "late" car, at least -- although exactly what defines late I can't be sure. My car is fershure late!

.. and thank you Don. I couldn't get more exact info any where!

Camilo

Edited by qim

3.5mm x 13 mm will do you. - raised head countersunk slotted stainless A2 screws.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-3-9mm-A2-STAINLESS-STEEL-DIN-7983-RAISED-COUNTERSUNK-SELF-TAPPING-SCREWS-/361567044029

Do you have the clips they screw into on the dash trim rail, one either side of the hole for the push/pull cable.?

These things http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pack-of-50-Spire-Speed-U-Fastener-Clips-Screw-no-6-3-5mm-in-Black-NEW-/201427767620?hash=item2ee607d144:g:WnkAAOSwPhdVIBLx

Peter W

I could not find the correct chromed screws with slotted heads so I used chromed countersunk Phillips head screws which are available in every hardware store. It only bothers me slightly.

Stan

Ten bucks at McMaster-Carr for a hundred of them in stainless steel, Stan. You'd be set for the next fifty cars you restore. Or Christmas presents for fifty of your sidescreen friends.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#91608A148

92408a201p2-b01l.png

Not sure whether I should confess this but when I removed the ill matched Philips head screws from my plate, I popped in a couple of spare slotted, electrical socket cover screws temporarily as they looked the part. As Moss sent me the wrong sized replacements they have remained in place and secure for about 3 years...!

Miles

• 1 month later...

i-Rh7CjTr-X3.jpg

Hi Don

I found a shop in Lisbon that may have similar screws. They want to know the thickness. I assume the diameter of the head. Could you have a look, when you have time?

Many thansks