Looking for info for family members TR5PI

HI all

I have joined up to try and get an opinion regarding my mothers uncles TR5 PI which has some strange history to it. It was previously owner by arsenal player/manager terry neill and was sold to my uncle back in the 60s i believe.

All i know is its a triumph TR5PI which is regestired in 1966 ( I know they was not made until 1967 though), He has stated it is a prototype of some sort and it has a Prefix of U (which is also weird but may just be private plate of terry neills but im not sure)

I have attached some photos that I have.

Any info will be much appreciated.

post-15163-0-12752500-1501744405_thumb.jpeg

post-15163-0-47952600-1501744413_thumb.jpeg

Edited by RickB89

Hi Rick

You can check Tax details here:

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

According to this site the car is currently taxed and was first registered in June 1968?

I've had a look on the M.O.T. History site and this does state the car was first registered in 1966 which is weird?

'F' Registrations were issued between August the 1st 1967 till July the 31st 1968

My car is 'F' and was first registered on July the 1st 1968

Roger Ferris the TR/250 Registrar may know something about the car, send him an E-Mail

PS - To my knowledge Triumph Prototypes had an 'X' Prefix but Roger may know what the 'U' stands for.

Good luck with the search

Gary

Thank you for the reply. Yes I am baffled with the car and not sure what it is. Yes he is still driving it (only a couple times a year) but what got my family worried is a mechanic he takes his focus to had offered him 6 thousand for it and I have told him that this is a very low offer for such a car, Am I right in saying so ? It's in very good condition (wheels need a refurb) and has done 39000 miles

Edited by RickB89

Hi Rick,

welcome to the forum. get your uncle to post now and then.

If the car is running and hasn't been attacked by too much external rust then well over £20,000 would be starting point - heading towards £30,000

Scrap non-runners are £18,000 - £20,0000

Excellent TR5's are going towards £50,000 - complete madness but that is the market.

To make it easy I'll give you £7,000 :P:lol::lol::lol:

Good luck

Roger

I would say that mechanic is a highway robber and he should steer well clear of him in the future.

He doesn't sound any better than those builders that rob old ladies of their life savings with shonky roof repairs. See the other thread on here about the TR5 on Ebay currently - for £40k

And good ones have gone for a lot more than that, particularly if they are of historic interest.

Rick

See the adjacent post on here reference the E-Bay TR5?

You can't get a TR5 Restoration project for £6K never mind a good condition car!

If it is a genuine TR5 (It certainly looks like it in the Photos apart from the wheels) then £30K - £40K+ depending on condition.

Me thinks the Mechanic is trying to rip you off :angry:

Is it fitted with a Fuel Injected 6 Cylinder engine?

Regards

Gary

Thank you for the welcome, TBH I've always been a fan of the TR6 and Spitefire's since i was young but have only recently discovered that my mums uncle actually owned the TR5pi so it was quite exciting for me to see it. Rhino you are correct, he is quite old now and he believes that when someone is doing something for him it is them being kind, unfortunately the same mechanic charged him £700 to repair a Mk1 focus front wing when it got damaged in a small crash, at that point my mum and dad knew something was a miss with this guy. I have shown passed on as much info to my mum to show him the real value of these cars but in all honesty I don't think he will ever sell it especially to that mechanic

Rick

See the adjacent post on here reference the E-Bay TR5?

You can't get a TR5 Restoration project for £6K never mind a good condition car!

If it is a genuine TR5 (It certainly looks like it in the Photos apart from the wheels) then £30K - £40K+ depending on condition.

Me thinks the Mechanic is trying to rip you off :angry:

Is it fitted with a Fuel Injected 6 Cylinder engine?

Regards

Gary

Yes I will pass on as much info as possible to my mum to pass onto him, I'm trying to make sure that this mechanic gets no where near it, He told him he wanted to buy it so he can build his own one (Obviously a lie as no one would take apart a very good conditioned one to build a project one) Yes it has the pi 2.5 straight six injection

Hi Rick, avoid that Mechanic, also warn others about him if possible.

It looks a great car, I hope you will be the recipient in years to come.

Have fun,

Conrad.

Hi Rick,

last year at the TRR clubs big show in Lincoln a club managed to get his relation and car (TR5) to turn up as he only lived a few miles away.

The relation was the original owner and for many years he would not take it out. It was a runner and did very few miles each year.

It was as original as you could get. I think it may have won a cup as the best survivor at the show.

Roger

Rick,

Could be kinda good news that your Uncle won't sell the car

(if you get my drift). Far better that it stays in the family!!

He should be made aware of your long-term interest in TRs!

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Hi Rick

Just seen the above thread and comments - good to hear that your Uncle is now aware of the car's potential worth.

Whereabouts in the country are you/your uncle?

Cheers

Ian

Hi Rick

Just seen the above thread and comments - good to hear that your Uncle is now aware of the car's potential worth.

Whereabouts in the country are you/your uncle?

Cheers

Ian

Don;t tell him Rick.

He'll be around in a shot tempting your uncle with a new shiny shilling. :lol::lol::lol::lol::ph34r:

Roger

Don;t tell him Rick.

He'll be around in a shot tempting your uncle with a new shiny shilling. :lol::lol::lol::lol::ph34r:

Roger

:-) :-)

Edited by ianhoward