Water pump housing

Hi all

I'm very suspicious of the old housing that I have fitted on our re-build TR5. It might have a hairline crack or a small hole somewhere, as it leaks slightly from the left hand bolt when under pressure - the long one. We have tried to identify the issue, but it's not definitive although it looks like the housing is the culprit. Therefore I'm just going to eliminate the housing altogether and replace it. But as you can't get an original and the replacements are alloy - all at around £120+ mark. The choice seems to be Moss by unknown manufacturer and currently out of stock, Rimmers made by "Bastuk" or SC Parts again unknown manufacturer,

Does anyone have any experience of these ? - good bad, don't fit etc, ??

Appreciate your comments

Thank you

best Bill

Hi Bill,

If you have a steel pump body then Mag Particle inspection may work to find any cracking.

Due to its odd shape a Penetrant inspection may be easier to do.

Is the pump body attached to the car? If not then inspection should be easy(ish)

Do you know anybody that can do MPI or DPI.

If not, and if you can get it to me then I could do it for you. if it finds a crack then you know where you are. If it is OK then perhaps the water/leak is else where.

Roger

Hi all

Roger - yes it's off the car now and we tried the penetrant test, but couldn't find anything

Neil / Kev - after all that, I think your'e bang on - it was fitted dry !!!!! Doh... How did we miss that one ??.. dumb, just dumb.

Our solution in any event was to re-fit with a lock and seal - A Loctite product. Not sure which one yet. 243,or 270 ? - I'm going to read through the spec sheets later today.

Thank yoooooooooooooooooooo guys . Great advice and pointers as usual.

best regards

Bill

The traditional thread sealant for steam-engine builders is 542.

Loctite motor vehicle listing.

<< http://hybris.cms.henkel.com/medias/sys_master/catalogsync/8802961686558.pdf>>

Low pressure lock and seal version is Loctite 577

For non locking, sealing only Loctite Stick 561

<< https://www.thehosemaster.co.uk/loctiter-561-thread-sealant-stick >>

Peter W