TR7 Type Approval number

Hi Graham

I will post my reply here as well so it has a wider distribution

The EU type approval scheme came into force long after 1981 so if this is what you are looking for you are out of luck. Not sure of the date when it started as the Wikepedia entry shows 2007, but my 2005 Suzuki has a type approval no but my 81 TR 7 doesnt.
Cheers
Howard

Ditto duplication.

Well there's a type approval box to be filled in on the Department of Transport form V55/4 rev Oct 75, as used in Coventry on 20 Sept 1978. However, there's no such box on the Department of the Environment form V55/4 (no revision mark) used 23 November 1977 in Birmingham. Presumably the latter form was an old one filled in at Longbridge and accepted at the licensing centre anyway – don’t know when licensing went from Environment to Transport, but from that it must be before October 1975.

Earliest EU ref I can find quickly is “Council Directive 70/156/EEC of 6 February 1970 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the type-approval of motor vehicles and their trailers”. And I know there are references to the changes made to national type approval in 1977/8 (I think it’s April 1978, but my memory is imperfect). I just can't lay my hand on them right now.

So, do you have a V55/4 for a T reg TR7?

Graham