Radiator drain tap

As my radiator does not have a drain tap it is my hope to fit one.

From the photo attached, I guess that the flat area at the bottom of the radiator is the place for it to go.

My questions are...

Does anyone have any experience of carrying this out?

What tap size & thread should I use after drilling the initial hole?

post-4122-0-88638300-1500377816_thumb.jpg

Hi Linda,

Before you start consider how you are going to do this.

The skin in that area is very thin and simply drilling a hole and screwing the valve in will not work.

I believe you will need to solder a reasonably thick boss onto the skin and then tap that for the valve

When soldering the boss be careful not to melt the solder on the lower core seam.

Roger

Thank you Roger. As always you are fathomless pit of immense knowledge. Job for the winter months I think. I can then drain the system and renew the coolant at the same time.

Just undo the bottom hose!

+1 for Rogers comments.

You would need to drill a clearance hole, then solder the tap in place, not a job for the faint hearted.

I would leave it as is.

Bob.

Gee.. I dunno... My radiator has a tap, and it's perfect. Easy to open, and easy to catch all the draining coolant in a container for proper disposal. Taking off the lower hose leads to a big mess.

I'd never dream of installing one myself, though. As Roger notes, it's gonna need a boss and heat management to protect the lower tank. I'd have a shop do it.

Mine has a tap, and yes, it's easy to catch the outflow, partly because it's so slow. The gush of water when the bottom hose is removed or cut through will do a better job of washing out the crud.

Pete