TR4 convertible hood/roof frame dimensions

Hi Folks,

I have two questions.

1 - can anybody supply the dimensions from the tip of the lift the dot fastener stud at the rear to the screw holes (screw heads) on each of the three frames.

I need this to attach the strap before even considering putting the roof on.

2 - How is the rear end of the strap terminated.. I'm sure I have fitted the old termination ad that is a LTD fastener.

However this pops down to the stud spigot groove and stops. It is a long stud spigot.

If this is correct how/where does the roof cover itself fit.

Should the LTD fastener on the strap go beyond the groove and slide to the bottom of the spigot.?

Roger

Hi Roger,

TR4 Hood Frame Location Webbing :

21.1/4" - Dimension from lift-the-dot stud on rear deck to centre of rear hood frame bow.

8" - Dimension from centre of rear bow to centre of middle bow.

11.3/4" - Dimension from centre of middle bow to centre of front bow.

The rear webbing LTD fastener pushes right down to the base of the long hood peg and this allows the hood LTD to be fitted on top.

Regards, Richard

Roger - I didn't fit the hood on my 4, but I've had plenty of experience of taking it up and down.

I would just issue a word of caution about using measurements to set the correct position of the webbing securing positions to the hood frame.

The hood frame position, in relation to the hood, is initially determined by the internal wrap around piece of the hood material which is secured to the front bar of the hood frame with 3 "poppers" - having inserted the front lip of the hood under the windscreen capping, and secured the rear on the pegs with the the LTDs on the cockpit alloy finisher, I would then tension the hood by lifting the frame on it's levers, and then you can mark your webbing as to exactly where it needs to be attached to the rearmost long peg and the 3 bars of the frame.

Doing it this way, you take into account any variations in your cockpit and hood dimensions - if you do it the other way round, you could find your hood frame can't deliver the tension it needs to, to the hood.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich,

many thanks for that.

After I read Richards post I did note the pocket in the new hood and had began to work on a plan.

As you state fixed dimensions are good on a production line but we are talking TRiumph here.

Having said that the data Richard supplied imparted impetus into the enthusiasm area.

Yesterday. I fitted the capping on the frame and it looked pretty good considering that it does not fit out of the box.

When I was standing back admiring my handy work I happened to spot the sealing gun on the rear deck.

You've guessed it. Annoyingly I used the last of my long pop rivets. So today I shall buy new pops and start again (at least the hard work is complete).

Roger