TR6 hard top refurbish

I am in the process of restoring one . Completely stripped & painted now awaiting headlining before fitting glass etc. If you google 74tr6.com there is a hardtop restoration section . Quite a lot of photos . PM me for contact details if you want to discuss the taking apart process ( not much to it really just have to be careful with glass).

Chris

Gents

Has anyone managed to find a supplier of the correct headlining material?

All the usual suppliers seem only to supply a 'generic' material.

I have 2 old ones with the 'basket weave' pattern material, that I plan (hope) to make into 1 good one.

I have not been able to find matchable cream coloured basketweave material anywhere, except a site in (from memory) Italy, wher it is used for restos of Alfas and such, but a request to purchase 2 metres of material yielded no joy.......

Hi John,

Just a caution, if your lucky enough to have the rear chrome corner mouldings, dont replace them with repro's, get the originals rechromed if possible. The repro's are about 6-7 mm short on the inside leg which means the rear chome strip will not sit against the rear panel at its ends. Very annoying as these repro's are expensive!!

Regards

Rich

Hi John,

Just a caution, if your lucky enough to have the rear chrome corner mouldings, dont replace them with repro's, get the originals rechromed if possible. The repro's are about 6-7 mm short on the inside leg which means the rear chome strip will not sit against the rear panel at its ends. Very annoying as these repro's are expensive!!

Regards

Rich

I have a pair if anyone interested.

Hi John,

Regards

Rich

Hi Rich

I will take that onboard, thanks.

Who signs off this badly manufactured garbage at the Suppliers??

Hi Mark

When I stripped mine, it was a case of sacrificing a couple of old (cheap) screwdrivers, and a flexible metal putty knife.

Whizzed them over with the angle grinder to make 'spoons' with nice roundy edges.

All the windows came out without issue.

When it comes to the rear window (now made from 'Unobtainium') I would consider sacrificing the rubbers??

BTW, Has anyone got any decent rubber seals they want to move on?

I would like some new(er)/better quality ones.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the feedback now back onto hardtop refresh after summer hols gone by.

Great feedback so far.

Put the hardtop on the car before car went away for respray and it fits phew! Love the look.

The hard top I purchased did not have any of the seals to the deck and I now have replacements from TRShop in Chsiwick.

I do not have any clue as how these are fitted and secured so some help here would be good; any pictures greatly appreciated.

John, I sourced replacement window rubbers also from the TRShop in Chiswick. They are very helpful.

What are the thoughts on stripping back to bare metal before respray of hardtop?

I also have a replacement seal where the hardtop meets the wind screen frame; any tips on replacement would be good.

I have replacement rivets with the special heads (TRShop) for holding the chrome flashings on. Any tips how to remove/refit the chrome flashings?

Am I correct in that window glass is removed and then the rubber seals?

Lots of asks there and appreciate any help.

Thanks for the feedback now back onto hardtop refresh after summer hols gone by.

Great feedback so far.

Put the hardtop on the car before car went away for respray and it fits phew! Love the look.

The hard top I purchased did not have any of the seals to the deck and I now have replacements from TRShop in Chsiwick.

I do not have any clue as how these are fitted and secured so some help here would be good; any pictures greatly appreciated.

John, I sourced replacement window rubbers also from the TRShop in Chiswick. They are very helpful.

What are the thoughts on stripping back to bare metal before respray of hardtop?

I also have a replacement seal where the hardtop meets the wind screen frame; any tips on replacement would be good.

I have replacement rivets with the special heads (TRShop) for holding the chrome flashings on. Any tips how to remove/refit the chrome flashings?

Am I correct in that window glass is removed and then the rubber seals?

Lots of asks there and appreciate any help.

Hi Jon

My (current) one is still in the 'refurbing' stage. (TBH, I'm still stuck at finding the headlining material, I'm being fussy, and can wait until I find one I like!)

From a previous attempt though, watch the new body paint around the rubbers and buffers, in case it is still a little 'delicate'.

Before paint, bare metal is the way to go, and ask the stripper/blaster, then the painter to try and get up and inside the rear buttresses/pillars, as this seems to be where the rot usually appears!

I plan to fit my screen to roof seal with a good dose of sealant/glue goo, I know of another that leaks from there!

When I stripped my last one, it was glass and seals all in one for removal, I can fix damaged metal easier than damaged glass!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and can you help!, I'm too nearing completing a tr6 hard top restoration, there has been lots of thin welding,

I'm missing some of the fitting peaces, I have all the tools and talent to make the missing peaces, I just need a better idea to what I need to make!

There is a tube at the front that protects windscreen frame from folding in when the front bolts of the hardtop are tighten, can anyone supply good photos of this tube section with dimensions?

also there is a threaded part that, that attaches to the car with what looks to be one screw by the "b" post, again photos and dimension would be of great help.

thank you so much.

David

• 1 month later...

Quick update in that 74TR6 http://www.74tr6.com/hardtop.htm has lots of pictures that has helped me to prepare for my hard top restoration. Not having a hard top with all the rubber fittings to the deck it was not clear how these should be positioned. I have attached a cut (hope the guy does not mind) of his photograph of these. Clearly from this you have the back rubber (626156) and then side rubbers (626155) in position. Then there is the block of rubber (614150) pushing the 626155 outwards. Looking at my hard top there is a depression in the metal for 614150.

It would be good to know how the rubber seal 626155 is fixed (glued?).

Found another article that may help and pictures also available from this web site http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/tr6-98/

On my hardtop the rear inner rim (picture attached) below the rear shelf has screw holes that were puzzling. Looking at pre-restored pictures it would appear that the shelf covering may have been pulled over this but on the restored picture this is painted to roof colour; any help appreciated.

Kind regards Jonathan.

post-15039-0-91718600-1510439881_thumb.jpg

post-15039-0-67958000-1510441477_thumb.jpg