I have now reached the dizzy heights of 70 mph for a short stretch of flat road, and found the steering getting noticeably lighter than at 60 mph. I run 185 Vreidsteins on 6J steel rims. Any suggestions as to why my steering is getting so light.

Keith

I had the same last night on the dual carriageway on the way to the Dorset meet - I was running late so had my foot down a little more than usual. 70mph (sat nav) is somewhere between 80 and 90mph on a wavy speedo needle and so to be honest, I've not normally pushed the car that fast (thinking I might be 20mph over the limit).

My steering box is in pretty good nick so I just put it down to "old car, dodgy handling" syndrome.

I have now reached the dizzy heights of 70 mph for a short stretch of flat road, and found the steering getting noticeably lighter than at 60 mph. I run 185 Vreidsteins on 6J steel rims. Any suggestions as to why my steering is getting so light.

Keith

Are on steering box or on modified worm and peg steering ?

As a comment the tyres spinning at 70mph have more centrifugal than at 60mph and their shape and tyre profile changes reducing the tyre footprint (only if marginally) and hence the grip reduces and the effort required to turn the wheel lessens.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

How is the suspension? If the cars sits too low on the front or too heigh in the rear, the caster of the car is wrong with the Steering becoming light and bit more floating. The chassis could be around 155mm from the Floor at the wheels. Front and back

I have the original steering box with the Revington top plate modification. All the steering and suspension bushes were renewed with standard components at rebuild and all look in good condition with no slop or play.

The suggestion regarding centrifugal force decreasing the foot print makes a lot of sense.

Any suggestions as to toe in/out?

I will check the ride height tomorrow and report back.

Thanks all.

Keith

Hi Peter W,

I note your comment re tracking - what would you suggest for toe in / out?

Keith

My own car with 51/2" TR6 steel wheels and 165/80/ tyres is very stable at motorway speeds.

The tracking is set the zero or perhaps a very slight in (1 degree).

Be aware I also have 3 degree castor from TR4 and the Revington reshaped steering levers.

Peter W

I'm not a TR2 person but if it still has positive camber at the front then it seems to me that if the front lifts a bit at speed then the camber would become even more positive and create lighter steering. Go negative.

Edited by peejay4A

1/8 total toe in.

I have found that track rod lengths must be as per the Workshop manual.....otherwise it will get light and wander.

I run totally standard suspension and steering it is very stable at all speeds. ( I do drive pretty briskly :D )

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

So I will have my tracking checked at Loughton tyres, but whats the revington steering arms thing ? Also why would wider wheels & tyres make a difference ? Keith

Hi Tom,

You have lost me with the left to right thing. I have a standard box with the revington top plate

Keith

Hi Keith ~

I also used to have the standard steering box with the Revington adjustable top plate but I didn't find it improved my steering.

That's why I converted to the rack and pinion steering.

Swapping the steering arms left to right on the standard set-up is not recommended.

Tom.

^ +1

And if you want a small article I've written on it and how to cure it PM me with your e mail address.

Mick Richards