Here's a pdf of the talk:

https://supertrarged.wordpress.com/2017/07/10/how-does-an-su-carburettor-work/

There's information about SUs ( and Stromberg CDs) that will probably be new even to most SU experts: 'mixture spread'.

========

May I thank those of you who braved the sauna-like conditons in the Friesen Shed. And may I apologise that you could not hear me. I do not have a loud voice and the PA for the arena defeated my best efforts. In my defence I had requested months before that a lapel mic and amp-loudspeaker be provided. It was not there. So I have suggested to the powers that be that the club invest in its own portable kit, along the lines of that owned by our local U3A (membership about 400).

For me it was a disappoiting experience having spent several hundred hours trying to fathom SUs and at least 100 constructing the talk. In 2015 the organisation of the Malvern facilities was impeccable ( thank you Ian again) Something has gone wrong this year. I'm not sure I'd want to repeat last Saturday's experience at Lincoln 2018.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Thanks again Peter, and sorry your seminar experiences since 2015 have not been as positive. These seminars were previously recorded and form the basis of the free seminar downloads available on the TRR website (including lead loading and gearbox rebuilding), for the benefit of members unable to attend in person.

I enjoyed watching you in Darren's video, and sorry I couldn't make the show until Sunday. Seems like I missed a great deal of the show, and a great number of people!

Cheers

Ian

A shame about the setup on Saturday, may not have been so bad if the events had not been moved from the autosolo area (as per 2015) to the grass area, the PA system was just overpowering.

will read the contents later.

Bob.

Thanks for all the work Peter, you have certainly inspired me to do some further reading about SUs.

Link you gave appears to need a login and password....

Thanks again

Malcolm

Malcolm Many thanks I had posted my editing page. Link now corrected.

Am happy to expand explanation on here. 'Mixture spread' is hard to explain without a to-and-fro discussion.

Peter

Peter

Personally i think there were other failings/shortfalls to the weekend, i was dissapointed with the number of trade stands that were present and although i do realise its not a restoration show i would have thought that perhaps there may have been a stand selling consumables like paint and fixings (nuts and bolts) etc etc.

The saturday evenings entertainment was strange to say the least,the band did their best but there was no bar unless you were prepared to walk 100 yards and wait in a long line that never seemed to move. The lighting in the livestock shed was so poor you could not see the band let alone other guests faces on the opposite side of the table.

Other times its been held in the showground main hall ,a much nicer venue (bring back Andy Cannings disco)

Its a great venue though with a lovely backdrop and the weather was great with some really outstanding cars ,long may it continue.

Regards

Martin

Hi Martin. and all others.

I just goes to show that no matter how hard you try you can never cover all the angles. We have little or no control over which traders will come to IWE. There used to be a chap selling nuts and bolts but he has packed up his business and I don't know of anyone who could replace him. If you - or anyone else does then please let us know so we can approach them in time for next year. Traders do try to support us but the fact is the internet and ebay has killed off a lots of the parts situation that used to be such a feature of IWE. I didn't see a single car festooned with spare TR bits leaving the site as we used to see some years ago. - unless of course they were safely ensconced into the large number of camper vans we now get turning. up. The fact is the club has changed and we need to cater for that change and offer some new things for our members otherwise it will be a case of same old - same old so why bother going?

I thought the band on Saturday was brilliant and I was actually asked to turn the lights off by some members in order to create more atmosphere. As for the bar, we had our own free bar in the Hall on Friday evening but we had to use the Stockman's bar on the Saturday. I was however disappointed to see only one person serving in the Stockman's bar and that is an issue I took up with the Showground management this morning. We didn't use the Severn Hall this year as the cost of hiring it is too high and the hall is too big for the numbers we now get. Andy Canning has, like many of us, now retired and hung his turntable up.

We were blessed with good weather this year which was fortunate because numbers attending were down on previous years. The lack of attendance and declining numbers is very worrying as it puts the whole IWE in jeopardy.

finally, my thanks to Peter and all the others who contributed to the weekend be it through seminars or just helping out.

Paul Hogan

Chairman

Returning to Peter Cobbold's starter: he was let down in a very big way by the absence of the amplification equipment which he had requested WELL IN ADVANCE, and the deafening sounds from the adjacent arena (which was not the fault of Wayne and Graham, they had a job to do).

Had I known that there would have been no sound equipment for Peter, my wife could have brought my amplifier and microphone equipment in the boot of her little High-and-Dry.

I feel that Peter is owed a grovelling apology by whoever was in charge of seminars this year (NOTE: not Ian Brown[cvtrian], who made an excellent job of organising seminars for many years past).

Ian Cornish

Hi Martin. and all others.

I just goes to show that no matter how hard you try you can never cover all the angles. We have little or no control over which traders will come to IWE. There used to be a chap selling nuts and bolts but he has packed up his business and I don't know of anyone who could replace him. If you - or anyone else does then please let us know so we can approach them in time for next year. Traders do try to support us but the fact is the internet and ebay has killed off a lots of the parts situation that used to be such a feature of IWE. I didn't see a single car festooned with spare TR bits leaving the site as we used to see some years ago. - unless of course they were safely ensconced into the large number of camper vans we now get turning. up. The fact is the club has changed and we need to cater for that change and offer some new things for our members otherwise it will be a case of same old - same old so why bother going?

I thought the band on Saturday was brilliant and I was actually asked to turn the lights off by some members in order to create more atmosphere. As for the bar, we had our own free bar in the Hall on Friday evening but we had to use the Stockman's bar on the Saturday. I was however disappointed to see only one person serving in the Stockman's bar and that is an issue I took up with the Showground management this morning. We didn't use the Severn Hall this year as the cost of hiring it is too high and the hall is too big for the numbers we now get. Andy Canning has, like many of us, now retired and hung his turntable up.

We were blessed with good weather this year which was fortunate because numbers attending were down on previous years. The lack of attendance and declining numbers is very worrying as it puts the whole IWE in jeopardy.

finally, my thanks to Peter and all the others who contributed to the weekend be it through seminars or just helping out.

Paul Hogan

Chairman

Well Paul perhaps just maybe the attendance & declining numbers was because of the pricing structure that I alluded to before the weekend! I was criticised by some members for suggesting that the cost on the gate for my wife & I attending on Saturday was expensive & poor value @ £50. As I had said I was unable to either pre book tickets due to family circumstances & only wished to attend for 1 day. As it happened we found ourselves free on Saturday so decided to go to Chateau Impney hill climb which turned out to be good value @ £40 for the 2 of us, great venue, great cars (including several TR's in the classic car park) & the wonderful bonus of the BBMF Lancaster flying over @ low level (worth £40 just for that!). Incidentally I spoke to 2 other couples there with TR's & surprise surprise they were not attending IWE for similar reasons.

Just my thoughts & opinion.

Yes Neil. The outside PA was a nuisance to all the Saturday seminars.

Lincoln 2016 was no better. The seminar room had good built-in voice amplification, until the kids' disco fired up, and we lost the decibel battle. Another testing experience for all involved. Future seminars need to be held where 'noises off' dont spoil the experience, nor parboil the audience.

Peter

Paul

No wonder that the numbers are declining with those gate charges, for us pensioners we can't afford it. The members are getting older and more and more are now pensioners, and the lucky ones like me are retired and don't need to earn a crust after 65.

I have just booked up a week in late September touring France, but the cherry on the top is the Swiss Classic British Car Meeting on 7th October in Morges which is as usual FREE and over 1300 cars attend, and what could be better than the Alps for a backdrop and on the shores of Lake Geneva. Last year it rained, so we hope for better weather this year.

Dave

Hi Folks,

I didn't want to get involved in gate prices but some of the comments are intriguing me.

£30+ for three days,

£25 for two days with £10 refund voucher if not there on the Sunday

£10 for the Sunday.

Free beer on the Friday (cheap trick) and free camping.

Usually utter crap evening entertainment - cheap and then some.

Up to 1000 TR's to mull over and usually a great many spares to drool over.

Compare that to Silverstone classic -

£90+ for three days

Camping at whatever cost - > £50 for the week-end

50 or so TR's

Excellent evening entertainment.

Clearly quality comes at a price.

Perhaps the answer is to increase the IWE gate price a tad but have free entry for wives and under 18's

Get rid of the free beer - it is a cost

Improve the entertainment - FOR THE WHOLE DAY & EVENING

Show grounds are expensive but have big advantages.

Block book a showground for 5 or 10 year periods

DO NOT keep changing the dates of the IWE - this makes hotel booking etc awkward

Choose a date that is convenient to the many - Early August was a good recipe (school holidays)

Lincoln looks a good deal at present bit when they become established the price will rocket.

Northern showgrounds have been tried and the Northern members stay away (the last Harrogate bash and Lincoln coincided with local Northern events).

Many Southern members will not go past Watford.

The committee want to break even or make a profit on the IWE - WHY

There is, at present, plenty of money in the pot. If it made a £20,000 loss so what.

We spend over £100,000 on TRAction per year. If we were in financial trouble we could switch to Electronic in a trice.

GO FOR QUALITY AT THE IWE - the members will return.

Perhaps running it every two years in opposition to CLM and improve the QUALITY - make the members want to come.

Regarding switching to a new format for the IWE.

Piggy backing onto another show is cheap but you lose your identity.

Anybody can go to Silverstone, GoodWood or Donnington every week of the year

The IWE is for TR's and invited friends. Why change the format. The gate takings are low because the member is not getting what he/she wants.

QUALITY

Also consider - rather than the committee organising and running the IWE form a dedicated long term sub-com. This will take pressure of the Committee and allow the Sub-com to focus totally on the product.

Roger

For me quality is being able to hold a conversation with a fellow TRer without a band or disco drowning out every word.

A marquee set up away from the noise with patio chairs /tables might be worth a try.

============

A free IWE would be more affordable if TRR looks further north or west where showgrounds are cheaper.

There must surely be many affordable venues outside the usual county agricultural showgrounds.

Here's one that is 2.25 hours drive from Corley Services on M6:

https://rhug.co.uk/visit/events-venue

( it is pronounced 'rheeg' )

The roads all around are empty of traffic, including the A5, perfect for TRs - with wonderful scenery to explore. Pitch the tent thursday evening, drive Snowdonia on Friday. Or ride on the steam railway from Corwen ( 1 mile from Rhug) to LLangollen.

If the very survival of the IWE, even with a gate fee, is threatened surely the committee must explore cheaper venues , of which Rhug will be just one of many.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

IWE a bit disappointing, having attended every year since 1997 of late about half of our party of 14 only attend on Sundays doing other stuff on saturdays and making a weekend of it at a central Malvern B&B.

Still found a few spares on sunday but by 11.00 many people were already leaving and not much on apart from the excellent presentations in the show ring by Wayne and Graham.

We did the last Lincoln but may not be at next years unless the date is released very soon. Earlier than 6th July will be a no no and the August dates were best as some of our members are teachers and cannot come before.

With an average age of over 70 there is little interest in camping, free beer or Tr motorsport and there are many rank and file members with similar ideals but these are the people who make up a large section of the membership and who turn out come rain or shine (we were there in the floods) and can turn a loss into a profit.

£15 on sunday would not deter if there was more on that day.

So firstly Lincoln dates please

Regards Chris

Hi Folks,

I didn't want to get involved in gate prices but some of the comments are intriguing me.

£30+ for three days,

£10 for the Sunday.

£90+ for three days

50 or so TR's

Perhaps the answer is to increase the IWE gate price a tad but have free entry for wives and under 18's

DO NOT keep changing the dates of the IWE - this makes hotel booking etc awkward

Choose a date that is convenient to the many - Early August was a good recipe (school holidays)

Lincoln looks a good deal at present bit when they become established the price will rocket.

Northern showgrounds have been tried and the Northern members stay away (the last Harrogate bash and Lincoln coincided with local Northern events).

There is, at present, plenty of money in the pot. If it made a £20,000 loss so what.

We spend over £100,000 on TRAction per year. If we were in financial trouble we could switch to Electronic in a trice.

Perhaps running it every two years in opposition to CLM and improve the QUALITY - make the members want to come.

The IWE is for TR's and invited friends. Why change the format. The gate takings are low because the member is not getting what he/she wants.

QUALITY

Also consider - rather than the committee organising and running the IWE form a dedicated long term sub-com. This will take pressure of the Committee and allow the Sub-com to focus totally on the product.

Roger

@ Roger

Some sensible suggestions.......Maybe you should be on the committee! :ph34r:;)

Hi Folks,

£30+ for three days,

£10 for the Sunday.

£90+ for three days

50 or so TR's

QUALITY

Roger

Hi Roger,

You will know my thoughts regarding the IWE & TRRI! In several instances both not giving what the members want or require. Result, loss of members or declining numbers.

With regard to gate prices I feel we should calculate as if 2 people are arriving in a car & only wish or want to attend for the main day. If you do that then this year it would have cost £50 less a £10 voucher. This in my view was not good value. For those who attend the whole weekend, purchase tickets in advance & grab the free beer & camping then a good deal! We have had this anomaly before & now people wonder why numbers are down again. Do the committee not learn from previous years & members comments?

I agree Roger, look @ other locations, dump the freebies & give the members a decent quality deal. Viewing the video of the IWE I doubt there was anything close to 1000 TR's & poor Peter could not give a decent talk. (The last time I went to Malvern in 2015 the speaker did not even turn up!).

You will see in another post that I with others went to Chateau Impney on Saturday, lovely venue, quality cars, good well run event, Lancaster flypast & good value @ £40 for the 2 of us compared to IWE for the same cost. I met one member there, a very nice guy who was scathing about the Club, disallusioned & had even tried in the past to get on to the committee to get things changed but had been pushed away. Sad to hear things like that in a car club.

Cheers.

Nice job with the presentation Peter, I learned a lot from your ppt. Too bad the session was not captured on video.

Stan

Stan,

Thank you. If there's enough interest I could flesh out the ppt slides with explanatory text. But best of all is to ask questions on here so I know where the explanations need expanding upon . I've gotten too close to the subject to see where the tricky bits are. Feel free to fire away

A video would also have been drowned out by the noises from outside.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold