How to fit a tr6 hood rail to a Surrey top

Hi all,trying to sort out the Surrey top and see it slides under the header rail but I remember reading that you can fit a tr6 soft top front rail with handles to the Surrey.

I've noticed my screen frame hasn't got the indents around the locating holes so is it still possible to do.

Regards

Nickpost-3994-0-58683700-1499512693_thumb.jpgpost-3994-0-93256900-1499512723_thumb.jpg

Edited by had17462

Hi Nick, I am doing virtually the same as you, I want to fit a 6 header rail to my 4a, sick of the surry top popping open, for some reason my wife thinks it's linked to the engine and we are going to break down.

I have sourced a 6 header rail and all the fittings, windscreen cap and the seals. I removed the 4a ali cap this morning and have fitted 4mm rivnuts in place of the pop rivets, I have offered up the new capping and I think if the cap is packed around the two holes the lever attachments go into it should be fine. My header rail is being powder coated at the moment and I get it back next Friday, once I have all the bits I will post some pics, cheers, Andrew.

Are the two bolt holes in the screen header of a TR5/6 hardtop not in a different place to the cam operating slots for fixing the soft top ? - so there are 4 big holes in the screen frame top surface of TR5/6 - two for the hard/surrey top and two more for the cam action soft top fixing. I think the brass cam fixings fit into depressions in the screen frame top surface also. or is that on Spit/Stag

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hello Nick, no, no indents on the top of the screen, I have fitted the windscreen cap but I can't offer the header rail up until I get it back on Friday, I used rivnuts for fitting the capping (4mm) so easy to take on and off during the 'trials'. Looking at it now, 10mm spacers under the capping inboard of the cam fixings should support the capping and frame, plenty of trial and error!! Cheers, Andrew

To get it to work properly your going to need a depression to take those camlock receiving plates and some rivnuts inserted to fix them to, the rest is relatively easy if you have a spare 5/6 hood frame header rail, you will need a Surrey soft section made to suit or if your very careful you can unpick the front of a standard cover and remove the metal strips.

Stuart.

Stuart, do you need a big hammer for the depressions or something a little more subtle, I am at the agricultural end of engineering ability!! Cheers, Andrew

Hi, I've unpicked the the seam and taken the metal strips section away, on the tr6 header rail that's now got to be attached to the Surrey do u cut off the upstanding section so the rail is one level.post-3994-0-53065900-1499779215_thumb.jpgpost-3994-0-09407900-1499779236_thumb.jpgpost-3994-0-18465100-1499779482_thumb.jpg

Edited by had17462

No you use it as is and fix the front of the soft section to it he same as fitting a hood.I hope you havent removed any material from the soft section as you need all of it to fit over the front of the rail

Stuart.

Hello, a bit further forward, I have offered up my 6 header rail to the windscreen capping and the cam locks go in the same holes as the hard top bolts, see photos both on drivers side,, also, how do you attach the leading edge of the hood to the header rail, must be more than glue?, Thanks, Andrew

post-2069-0-97195100-1500402093_thumb.jpg

post-2069-0-87865800-1500402111_thumb.jpg

Hello, a bit further forward, I have offered up my 6 header rail to the windscreen capping and the cam locks go in the same holes as the hard top bolts, see photos both on drivers side,, also, how do you attach the leading edge of the hood to the header rail, must be more than glue?, Thanks, Andrew

Yes there is a 3 piece channel that rivets under the front of the header rail (you will see the rivet holes) and then there is a rubber seal as well. parts 73 and 78 here http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/weather-equipment/hoods-hood-frames-fittings/hood-frame-fittings.html

Stuart.