Plonker builds TR6 engine, oooer

This week i fitted the crank, pistons and gapped the rings.

Fitted the cylinder head and all new oil way plugs and new core plugs all supplied by the engine machine shop.

Yesterday I fitted the engine, and this morning started to make a rear mounting arrangement for my J type gearbox.

At the back of the bench in a plastic bag was one new core plug. Whats that indeed.

Hoping the parts supplier had put on too many in the bag I rang him, No Pete I gave you what was needed.

Groan, after giving him the size of the plug it was for the front of the engine behind the main plate.

So off with the timing cover chain gears water pump etc etc I could now see the "Hole"

How I missed it I know not, I did fit the larger one but well no excuses I just screwed up.

moral of the story, yes the 2 gaskets do break even when only being in place for a day the wellseal was still warm.

Moss Manchester had 2 in stock, measure twice and cut once they say.

Tough stuff Pete,

I stripped the front timing cover off on a 4 cylinder rebuild because I didn't like the chuckachuckachuck noise it made when turned over to find out it was only the gloopy STP I'd ladled over the timing chain tensioner stretching and breaking, sounded like a bulldog shaking his head. We all make the mistakes, the trick is to remember it for next time.

Mick Richards

Pete,

I had a PI engine run for about 3 years before we noticed a weep from the front plate - obviously the Friday before a big event - with some mad spannering we whipped it all off to find a hole.... the engine builder used good sealant but must have had a spare plug in his toolbox ...........

I left out the plug that seals the rear of the oil way.

Lack of oil pressure on spinning it with no plugs in was solved by the enormous pool on the floor.

There's only a small hole in the base of the bell housing, and the oil level inside had been halfway up the clutch, so new clutch friction plate too.

Doh, doh and double doh!

John

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing how we can sometimes miss the obvious . . . . . the big Humber 6 boasts an awful lot of core plugs, and we thought we'd sorted 'em all just nicely.

Engine back in, fill up the mighty cooling system - more than 2 gallons. Then realise there's a cascade out the back of the engine bay. One core plug on the back of block missing, overlooked. B*gg*r.

Thankfully Jeff had a hydraulic gizmo, or rather a whole damn box full of clever hydraulic gizmos, that got to the offending hole from the cabin, over the bell housing, and now it's all sorted. Huge sigh of relief, heaving that mighty lump in and out is no small task, in fact it's a very large effort indeed.

The Humber is now ticking over at a gentle purr, hardly audible even with the bonnet off, proper Coventry's finest - a great contrast to say a Vanguard lump, which is a crude clattering thing in comparison. Another couple of weeks and it will be down for MoT, hopefully running properly at last with all its 120 horses cantering in synchro and the slush pump working properly for the first time since the late 70s . . . . . which is presumably when the front pump assembly shattered itself. How that old Studebaker 'box kept going is a miracle in itself . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Amazing how we can sometimes miss the obvious . . . . . the big Humber 6 boasts an awful lot of core plugs, and we thought we'd sorted 'em all just nicely.

Engine back in, fill up the mighty cooling system - more than 2 gallons. Then realise there's a cascade out the back of the engine bay. One core plug on the back of block missing, overlooked. B*gg*r.

Thankfully Jeff had a hydraulic gizmo, or rather a whole damn box full of clever hydraulic gizmos, that got to the offending hole from the cabin, over the bell housing, and now it's all sorted. Huge sigh of relief, heaving that mighty lump in and out is no small task, in fact it's a very large effort indeed.

The Humber is now ticking over at a gentle purr, hardly audible even with the bonnet off, proper Coventry's finest - a great contrast to say a Vanguard lump, which is a crude clattering thing in comparison. Another couple of weeks and it will be down for MoT, hopefully running properly at last with all its 120 horses cantering in synchro and the slush pump working properly for the first time since the late 70s . . . . . which is presumably when the front pump assembly shattered itself. How that old Studebaker 'box kept going is a miracle in itself . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

I don't know if your humber was built by Humber or Rootes Group, but they did build sturdy stuff, The old Rapier did well in the Rallying scene, The Imp I loved, when it was right it would sing away at top revs all day.

Well I couldn't break it anyway and I did try, my Dads Pal an ex Rootes engineer had a Humber Imperial, it was a wonderful bit of first class Kit.