Just recently rejoined the Register after about 30 years, having made

an impulse purchase of an early TR2 from Los Angeles which I picked up from S'ton

docks this week.

I'd been saving the wheels spats I was given for my 21st birthday (44 years ago!)

for just such an occasion, but the car is wearing what appears to be, original spec

wires.I let my factory aero screens go a couple of years ago during a period of

financial difficulty, and now somewhat frustrated by my decision!

However, my acquisition is a lapsed restoration project, which, going by the unused tyres 3 digit

DOT date codes, (3 digit ending in 2 or 4) was underway either 1982/4 or 92/4.

The story I got from the seller (a hotrod builder) was that the owner had 'passed away'

during an auto accident, which I assume was some time ago!

I seem to be missing some of the signature 'early' parts such as rear light plinths, ally

spare wheel cover original engine, (has a TR3 replacement) and the dreaded thermostat housing.

But I do have the ally bonnet with 4 rivets, ally dashboard, original non o/d gearbox,

rear wings and apron with the larger light mounting faces, 'no red line' rev counter and

of course the long doors.

If there's anything else I could or should be nailing down I like to know please?

The chassis, steering, brakes and suspension all appear to have been stripped, blasted

and painted black to a good standard.It still has the Lockheed axle and un-reinforced

rear damper mountings with which I'm rather familiar from my first TR!

The body is a wonder of what a semi-desert climate does for the preservation of old

steel.The tub has been blasted, repaired and base coated both sides in Ice blue, all flat panels look

original with no obvious signs of replacement ever, and all the outer panels look suspiciously

good, including the bottoms of the doors and inner sills.There are signs of the odd knock

on the LH inner wing and scuttle top which I will re-address for my own edification.

I have both sides of an A4 sheet of paper with a list of missing stuff, mainly brackets and

stays which should not be too difficult to source.

I'll shall be attending the 'do' next weekend A4 and wallet in hand.

Roger Murray-Evans

What a delight to hear that story, and we'll fershure look forward to hearing and seeing the car come back together on here.

Hi Roger,

So no supercharger then.... like old times?

Welcome back to the fold.

Peter W

PS, Did it come with the Brooklands aeroscreens as pictured?

http://davidsclassiccars.com/triumph/190614-1953-triumph-rare-tr2-long-door.html

Did you sell your orig aeroscreens or will you want to get a set of my repro aeroscreen mounts to fit the Brooklands ones without drilling the scuttle?

PM if in need.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Welcome !

i saw the car on sale some time ago, looked like a good start for a very nice resto. Will you bring it back to Ice Blue ?

I can help with colors as i have been researching for my own restoration (see my resto blog in my signature)

Cheers !

Thankyou all for your kind welcome.It is much appreciated!

I did subsequently discover that one can obtain the original

membership number on renewal (in my case 55*) so it will now

wait 'til next year for my number snob instincts to return!

Afraid, PeterW, I currently have no blowers on any car, but

I do have a slack handful of Allards (which is from whom I

acquired my TR supercharger).Unfortunately, I had to evict

one of these from the garage to accommodate the TR.

The car did come with the aeroscreens, and I'll be in touch!

Can any of the US members suggest a means of tracking down

the historical background of my car at all?I've obviously applied

for it's Heritage certificate but I'd like to get deeper if possible.

I'm thinking the car was always a California vehicle.

Roger M-E

I let my membership lapse for a few years in the 80's or 90's and was told that I could not have my original membership number back because too much time had elapsed (a rule rather than any practical issue) .

Tracing a car history in the US is tricky as there is no central registration system. There is a chance that one of the Triumph clubs has seen it before (TRA, VTR etc) but the chances are reduced if it has been sitting in a barn/field for decades.

Stan

If the importer of the TR or your file still has the US document called the "title", the thing that officially records ownership, keep it, Roger! The title will show the last owners name, and perhaps one before that. With a name, inquires through the TR or other internet sources can start.

Vehicle ownership records and road registrations are managed by each state. Registration numbers mean almost nothing over here, as they change on vehicles all the time for all kinds of reasons (California being one of the few states where the number can stay with the car, although it doesn't have to.)

Due to privacy laws, it's normally not possible for a private owner to research the history of a vehicle through the state records, so there's little to expect there.

There have been some early-car registers compiled over the years -- I have a copy someplace, I thought, but it's not coming to hand -- and TS70L might have been on it at one time.

Edited by Don H.

Good to hear that another early TR2 (built 3rd November 1953) has been brought back....however, very early missing parts are now getting very hard to find....hope the double bonnet lock system is there......very difficult to come by if not......

If the Heritage Cert doesn't tell you the original engine no., contact me as I know it ! Best wishes with the project, Bill Piggott

I let my membership lapse for a few years in the 80's or 90's and was told that I could not have my original membership number back because too much time had elapsed (a rule rather than any practical issue) .

Tracing a car history in the US is tricky as there is no central registration system. There is a chance that one of the Triumph clubs has seen it before (TRA, VTR etc) but the chances are reduced if it has been sitting in a barn/field for decades.

Stan

I joined in 1971, then left (on selling the car) in 1980. Re-joined in 2011 (have got my old car back), & got my old number back without any problem (463)

Bob.

I joined in 1971, then left (on selling the car) in 1980. Re-joined in 2011 (have got my old car back), & got my old number back without any problem (463)

Bob.

That is very interesting. Either the office plays favorites or there was a change in policy at some point.

Does seem a bit odd, I joined in 1979/80 (?) left in 89 (regrettably sold the car), bought the same car back in 2010 and after a year of running with a new number ( unaware I could have my old one) then got the original back.

Iain

There was a time in the past when old membership numbers were not retrievable, and as I recall that situation obtained for more than a few years.

In more recent times there seems to have been a policy of reviving old membership numbers on request . . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Regarding membership/old numbers, I think it is a change of policy, as

one of my very old chums tried some time back to regain his old

TR membership number and was told he couldn't, and I worked on that

principle when I applied, only to be told by said chum that he now does

have his old number back on a subsequemt renewal!

• 2 weeks later...