getting rid of points.

I bought an electronic Ignition kit for my TR3A years ago, it failed after about 18 miles, the vendor didn't want to know.

So somewhat reluctantly I have joined the modern world and after successfully fitting a Petronix kit to my red Tomato.

I saw this one after a look round.

I have just begun the re assembly of my TR6 engine, so if anyone has experience of Pertronix on their TR I would be grateful for many feedback.

https://www.bpnorthwest.com/pertronix-ignitor-and-flame-thrower-coil-kit-tr250-tr6-mgc.html

Edited by pfenlon

I fitted a pertronix and flame thrower coil on recommendation from the distributor doctor. It's been on for a couple of years. So far trouble free. The DD told me the cheap ones just weren't as good.

I fitted a pertronix and flame thrower coil on recommendation from the distributor doctor. It's been on for a couple of years. So far trouble free. The DD told me the cheap ones just weren't as good.

Paul thats good info, Martin certainly knows his stuff, thats a good recommendation thank you.

Hi Pete,

when I saw the title I thought you had been done for speeding - you can always go on the course and for go the points.

Roger

I was summoned for exceeding the 30mph speed limit by I think 4mph, in North Wales a long time ago, I was invited to attend a course given by a bobby or pay the fine etc etc.

I went for the course.

I expected to just sit there get it over with and sod off. But no, the bloke was brilliant, tought us stuff we had forgotten years ago,. and it really was worthwhile, Having done a bit of tech training myself, I was impressed

at the way he conducted his school, questions session was also well received.

I've been running with Piranha (now called Newtronic, I believe) since 1993. It has a simple 4-bladed rotor which cuts a light beam, and is coupled to a Sport coil.

Fit and forget!

Ian Cornish

Hi,

I have Pertronix Ignitor I on my TR6. Dramatic improvement in idling and smoothness up the rev range. It has done 26,000 miles and is still going strong.

One very important issue is the earthing. I kept burning through coils, both cheap and expensive, about every 4,000 miles. The solution (from Pertronix themselves) is to have a direct earth to the bracket that the pick up is attached to. I.e. do not rely on earthing via the dizzy/ engine. (see attached photos). This not only solved the problem of coil failure, but also made the engine run even smoother.

Paul

post-4783-0-79654100-1498762443_thumb.jpg

post-4783-0-14316300-1498762451_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I have Pertronix Ignitor I on my TR6. Dramatic improvement in idling and smoothness up the rev range. It has done 26,000 miles and is still going strong.

One very important issue is the earthing. I kept burning through coils, both cheap and expensive, about every 4,000 miles. The solution (from Pertronix themselves) is to have a direct earth to the bracket that the pick up is attached to. I.e. do not rely on earthing via the dizzy/ engine. (see attached photos). This not only solved the problem of coil failure, but also made the engine run even smoother.

Paul

Paul,

Looking at your pics, the gap between the cam ring & module in your dizzy looks really small. There's a gauge with the kit to measure minimum clearance of 0.030" (I think?).

The gap on mine is much much bigger, but the engine starts easily.

Your set-up looks like there's no gap at all???

Richard.

Hi Richard,

These is a gap (else it would grid to a halt!) but it is small. There are no signs of rubbing, so the gap must be big enough for vibrations/ wear in the dizzy. The dizzy is in good condition (refurbished).

From Pertronix installation instructions (attached):

'You will be trying to get an air gap between approximately 0.010” at the low end and no more than 0.060” at the high end.'
0.060" is approximately 1.5mm.

Paul

Ignitor 1 installation.pdf

Hi Paul great info on the earth lead. I too suffered many coil burnouts and went back to points from the Pertronix Kit.

I might now re try this set up with Pertronix. I think i still have all the kit.

Tony

I have been running an Aldon Ignitor LU124A with somekind of Blue Bosch coil for about 10 years. It has proved very reliable but doen't stop me from carrying a set of points and a condenser - just in case.

The text used on the Aldon Automotive site seems very similiar to that on the Pertonix sit. Is it the same beast ??

James

Aldon ignitor and a Pertronix ignitor are the same thing.

When the £/$ rate is more favourable purchasing via retrorockets (vintageperformance.com) from the US can be a great deal (no customs duty to worry about, they are posted from an office about 5 miles from me)

Edited by AndyR100

MyTR3 came with a 123 system (2nd generation I believe) which hasn't missed a beat since installation some 20.000 miles ago

Just to sound a negative note - I had a Pertronix which failed after about a week's use whenever the engine reached normal operating temperature. I re-fitted the reliable points......

Hi Pete

Just seen the post... I fitted Pertronix ignition and Flamethower coil about 9 or maybe 10 years ago... No issues experienced.

Cheers

Ian

....or the Lumenition magnetronic. Expensive but reliable and hidden.

Roger

I've got the Powerspark kit which I fitted 2 years ago and works fine

....or the Lumenition magnetronic. Expensive but reliable and hidden.

Roger

While in the UK I fitted Lumenition to the Merc. Hall Effect transducer sensed the bump on the distributor lobes. set and forget.

Think I've previously described the trip down Macquarie Pass when I first learnt that after years of flexing, the stiffish lead to the transducer cracked, and on full retard going down the pass opened a gap that took the engine, power steering, and power brakes off me, when the electrical connection turned into a gap. Was glad I'd kept fit enough to handle the hairpins with two feet on the brake pedal and eye watering exertion on the steering wheel.

When I wrote to them about the problem, they sent me another one for free which lasted a similar time before the same thing happened and I went back to points.