Rubber Boots - Sliding joint

Hello, my TR6ing friends.. How can you tell it's nearly IWE time? 'cos every time I go near TRoy, My beloved (most of the time..) TR6 pi, I find something else that needs fixing.... This time, it's the rubber boot on the sliding driveshaft joint, that's perished (well, it is 2 years old!). My question to you is this: Can this be changed by unbolting the 'diff end' of the drive shaft, & sliding that off (is there room?), or perhaps from the 'hub end' (similar principle); Or do I just take the whole lot out, and do it away from the car? As ever, your expertise will be much appreciated!

Cheers, Paul.

Hi Paul,

you don;t actually need the gaiters. One of the better supplier/manufacturers don;t use them.

However if you want to replace it,it is far better to remove the shaft with the hub from the car (easier to work on).

You will need to separate the two halves of the shaft - mark the alignment of the shafts.

remove old gaiter.

fit new gaiter to the smaller diameter shaft

Connect both halves

And then proceed to fight with the gaiter to get it onto the larger diameter shaft.

I'm sure there is a way you could drop the shaft from the diff and do it all from underneath.

By removing the hub you can then lubricate the often forgotten outer UJ.

Roger

Hi Roger, many thanks for the info. It was whilst greasing the outer driveshaft U.J. that I spotted the problem. I think you might have the wrong end of the stick (or drive shaft in this case!); my problem is with the rubber boot that covers the sliding (splined) joint in the middle of the driveshaft, as opposed to that which covers the diff end U.J.

Cheers, Paul.

Hi Paul,

no, what I posted is correct. The sliding joint gaiter isn't essential according to the suppliers in Kidderminster.

The other boot is definitely not essential.

There is no harm in fitting the sliding joint gaiter if you need to. Again, remove the shaft and do it on the bench.

Roger

Sadly I haven't found a boot that doesn't start disintegrating the moment you fit it... Absolute rubbish the stuff I have bought requiring the job to be done again like the o/p in a couple of years...does anybody know of any good quality stuff being sold?

Hi Roger & Jogger. Just to be on the safe side, I fitted a new sliding joint gaiter (from Moss) this morning (I know, it will probably have split by the time I get to Malvern...). It's on the nearside, & was easy to do by unbolting the d/s from the diff, angling it upwards & toward the front of the car, and then sliding that end off the d/s. Obviously not so straightforward if you were doing the drivers' side, with the (standard pattern) exhaust in the way. Interestingly, the gaiter on the o/s shaft (which has never been off the car in 10 years of my ownership) still looks pretty good...

Many thanks for your advice,

Paul.

I cant agree with Roger about the gaiter not being necessary. The joint is greased so any grit kickedup by the front wheels or air flow under the car will soon turn the grease to grinding paste. Good business for Kidderminster ?

Disgraceful that a boot should perish in a couple of years. Name and shame supplier please. Mine are original 1974 vintage and fine.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Hi Pete,

with my engineering head on I agree with you. However that is what the manufacturers said.

It is quite possible that there may be a felt gland in front of any seal to pre-clean the 'wipe area'

The actual movement is quite small.

Roger