locking wheel nuts

ho my handsome friends

During the weekend at Santa pod, a couple of people remarked about my wheels

they suggested that I should get locking wheel nuts

any suggestions please

cheers pink

Hello Pink, presumably they are alloys. You might make a start talking to the company you bought them from. I'm no expert, but I know nuts for alloys are different to those for steel wheels. No idea if they vary from wheel to wheel.

Austin

If you do go down the locking wheel nut route you will really need to fit 2 per wheel diagonally opposite each other, if you only fit one per wheel you can simply snap the single locked stud after removing the other 3 wheel nuts

If you do go down the locking wheel nut route you will really need to fit 2 per wheel diagonally opposite each other, if you only fit one per wheel you can simply snap the single locked stud after removing the other 3 wheel nuts

Boy, that sounds like it would be a lot easier in theory than in practice, Graham. I can't imagine a stud being that easy to snap off.

Boy, that sounds like it would be a lot easier in theory than in practice, Graham. I can't imagine a stud being that easy to snap off.

Don Very easy I have done it myself ……………….its how we used to remove them in the breakers yard when we didn't get the 'key' with the car.

ho my handsome friends

During the weekend at Santa pod, a couple of people remarked about my wheels

they suggested that I should get locking wheel nuts

any suggestions please

cheers pink

Hi Pinky,

Speak to Speed Shack, nr Heathrow on 01895 449066 or www.speedshack.co.uk they have a vast range of wheel nuts and studs etc.

Bruce.

Recently found that the security bolts on my modern were not removable. Combination of seized bolts, and crap security sockets.

Went to my local tyre place, which said that they would help, except they had broken their security bolt extractor on another Citroen! And Citroen security bolts were the worst (best?) in the business, so I took it back to the local Dealer.

Which is where it gets interesting.

They farmed it out, without telling me, to another tyre place, who got the bolts off and fitted another set, as I wanted.

When I got it back, I set out to put antiseize on the new security bolts.

And found that they had been tightened to THREE TIMES the proper torque. I checked all the others and only two were not overtighteded, and most as tight as the securities.

Obvious case of whizzy-gun-mad/lazy tyre fitters.

Complained to Citroen dealer manager - OOps! Sorry! Half price service next time, Sir?!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Lucky you could get the nuts off. The tyre dealers in Australia tend to use the same rattle guns for both cars and trucks in the fitting bays. I ask for manual tightening after tyre fitting but they never do it.

I now check the nuts with a wheel brace on the dealer's premises when I pick a car up. I had to cut off a nut that rounded when I wanted to do some brake work a few years ago.

Edited by Mike C

I'm always more impressed, and more likely to use, a tire shop that checks final tightening with a hand-levered torque wrench. It's one of those key tests for overall quality of the shop.

"checks final tightening with a hand-levered torque wrench"

I'm even more impressed if they don't just run them up with a gun and then check with a torque wrench that it's tight enough ! that still leaves you at the sign of the road with an overtightened wheel. They need running up by hand and finishing with a torque wrench up to the final figure.

Mick Richards

"checks final tightening with a hand-levered torque wrench"

I'm even more impressed if they don't just run them up with a gun and then check with a torque wrench that it's tight enough ! that still leaves you at the sign of the road with an overtightened wheel. They need running up by hand and finishing with a torque wrench up to the final figure.

Mick Richards

Tightening-to-torque is exactly what the shop I use does, Mick. I didn't mean to imply they just checked that they were (over) torqued enough to click the wrench.

Tightening-to-torque is exactly what the shop I use does, Mick. I didn't mean to imply they just checked that they were (over) torqued enough to click the wrench.

I thought as much Don, you're too cute for that lol, it just helps to avoid others not using the same thought processes.

Mick Richards

Thank you for your comments

I wil give speed shack a rino in the morning

can't understand why your need two locking nuts per wheel

the nut is 20 mm across the flats

35 mm long including the taper

Thank you for your comments

I wil give speed shack a rino in the morning

can't understand why your need two locking nuts per wheel

the nut is 20 mm across the flats

35 mm long including the taper

My TR has got Cobra Super Slots fitted since the mid 1970's with one lock nut per wheel that has not stopped me torqueing up all 4 with the proper torque / sequence for 40 years?

Bruce.