Hi

I refurbished the wooden dash recently and whilst it was out took the opportunity to replace the indicator and ignition lights together with the little chrome retainer rings. I am pretty sure that before the refurb the chrome rings fitted outside the dash. The new rings will not screw into the plastic from the outside soso I have had to fit them between the metal dash and the wooden one. Which way is correct?

Simon

Hi

I refurbished the wooden dash recently and whilst it was out took the opportunity to replace the indicator and ignition lights together with the little chrome retainer rings. I am pretty sure that before the refurb the chrome rings fitted outside the dash. The new rings will not screw into the plastic from the outside soso I have had to fit them between the metal dash and the wooden one. Which way is correct?

Simon

The way you have them now, behind.

Stuart.

Hi Simon,

There are a few pics on this page:

http://tr4a.weebly.com/dashboard-triumph-tr4a.html

Best.

Paul.

My brother just bought a 1965 TR4. One thing he does not like (me neither) is the wooden dashboard. Was this an option or standard for these late TR4s?

Would it be possible to remove the wood and just use the steel behind it? I suppose he would need to find a locker door and the vinyl background for the smaller gauges or is there more to it?

My brother just bought a 1965 TR4. One thing he does not like (me neither) is the wooden dashboard. Was this an option or standard for these late TR4s?

Would it be possible to remove the wood and just use the steel behind it? I suppose he would need to find a locker door and the vinyl background for the smaller gauges or is there more to it?

It was an option so yes you can delete it on a 4 but as you say you will need a glovebox door and hinges and the centre instrument panel.

Stuart.

The ignition and indicator warning lamps were never centrally located in their apertures on my 4A's wooden dash. This was probably not unusual, even the May 1965 Autocar road test referred to 'clumsily cut holes for warning lamps'. When I replaced my dash with a new one in burr oak I took the opportunity of judiciously filing the two holes on the fascia panel so that the lamps would sit centrally in their apertures. They are now much more pleasing to the eye. Unfortunately I don't have a pic showing how unsightly the lamps were before my attention.

Tim

post-9073-0-55088900-1498300468_thumb.jpg

No Simon, the threaded chrome bezels secure the warning lamp assemblies to the metal fascia panel and they then sit behind the wooden dash. Paul's pictures show this clearly.

Tim

OK. Just that before the chrome bezels were nicely centralised but now a bit off scew so not so nice visually

"i.e. facing the driver."

I do not understands that. What I was trying to find out was whether the chrome bezels were outside the wooden dash or between the wooden and metal dashes.. Consesus is the latter

Hi Simon,

thanks for raising this issue, sadly many years too late for me.

When I came to fit the new dash in the late 90's I had no photo or memory of how it all went together.

My logic suggested that the chrome rings were on the outside of the dash (rear face) but could not possibly fit as the metal dash holes were too small to allow the plastic lamps through.

I did not consider that TRiumph would hide their expensive bezels.

The forward face of the dash is relieved to allow the bezels to sit nicely.

Removing the plastic lamp covers would be fun !!! - not.

I opened up the metal dash holes to allow the plastic lamp holders to sit against the forward face of the wooden dash.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

I attach a picture of what looks like the original dash in SRB 326F, from p66 of James Taylor's book Triumph TR. The chrome bezel on the ignition warning lamp is clearly sitting BEHIND the dash.

Tim.

post-9073-0-58395200-1498383300_thumb.jpg

"i.e. facing the driver."

I do not understands that. What I was trying to find out was whether the chrome bezels were outside the wooden dash or between the wooden and metal dashes.. Consesus is the latter

Mine are outside the wooden dash.

Pete

Yeh, I thought it may be possible, I will bet it looks a lot better than trapped behind the wooden dash. How did you get them to fit because I found there was insufficient thread depth to engage the thread on the plastic tube.

Simon

Hi Simon,

the holes in the metal dash are too small to allow the plastic bulbholder to pass through.

Like I did, you will need to open the holes out. This will get the plastic holder to press against the back of the wooden dash.

The bezel should now fit.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Mine are outside the wooden dash.

Pete

Having had a good look in daylight, I was wrong (that's twice now...). :unsure: They are between the wood and the steel dash, as everyone who knows what they're talking about said.

Pete

Maybe slightly off topic but someone mentioned removing the wooden dash. Until I get the time to go back to original white dash I've covered the wooden dash in black vinyl and some lights from a parts catalogue (Europa I think).

post-6161-0-29449300-1499987168_thumb.jpg

post-6161-0-03773800-1499987234_thumb.jpg