Original screwdriver

Hi

I've seen some adverts for original wood handle screwdrivers but they are all different lengths...

Anyone know what is the correct length for a genuine original screwdriver as assembled in the tool roll?

Thanks

camilo

Edited by qim

Mine, which I'm reasonably sure is original, is about 14 inches from the tip to the end of the handle. It says "Sheffield England" on the blade. I'll post a picture as soon as I figure out how.

Tom

Here it is:P1010301_zpsypl5yv20.jpg

Edited by TomMull

Hi Camilo,

tool kits were something of a variable equation in the 1950s. Usually minimalist, just wheel changing kit, but better quality car manufacturers tended to include more tools as the car became more upmarket. Sometimes dealers would add extra tools as a bonus.

Standard Triumph tool kits seemed to have varied considerably, probably based on what could be obtained most economically at the time, and content was not consistent through the years.

Often enough, export cars would be given slightly more comprehensive toolkits, especially to 'metric' countries . . . . but in some instances basic wheel changing kit only and the remainder added as 'local content', particularly applicable to ckd exports (completely knocked down, ready for local assembly).

There is no merit in getting too obsessive about the fine detail of the toolkit, just look for things appropriate to the period.

Cheers,

Alec

There is a sidescreen Triumph guy here in the States that has done lots of research regarding tools & tool kits.

Here is an exert from one of his information sheets:

SIDESCREEN TRIUMPH TOOL INFORMATION

John Warfield

Tool kits for these cars aren't horribly difficult to find but some items are getting tougher. The tool mix for the mainstream TR3 kit pretty much remained the same at least by content, although there were some variations in the tools themselves, particularly in the grease gun. The typical mix is:

Three AF combination spanners (T.Williams) 3/8x7/16, 9/16x1/2, 3/4x5/8 marked SUPERSLIM, MADE IN ENGLAND, and with TW cartouche
TW 'F-type' adjustable spanner 7" marked only MADE IN ENGLAND
TW slipjoint pliers marked with TW cartouche and usually MADE IN ENGLAND but possibly BRITISH MADE
8" cabinet pattern screwdriver - often but not necessarily supplied by SHELLEY (wire wheel cars only 1958 on)
8" tommy bar (simple 3/8 roundstock - wire wheel cars 1958 on
Tecalemit 2801 greasegun painted light blue metallic 'hammerite' but sometimes bronze metallic (four variations of pattern; at last three were definately in TR kits - other grease guns were also fitted at different times
7" box spanner - unmarked - 9/16x1/2AF
6" plug spanner - unmarked – 13/16x3/4AF
Lucas distributor tool - early has open brass pivot rivet, later could have solid aluminum pivot rivet
brass tyre valve extractor
feeler gauge "helicopter type"
combination tool - "hockey puck" 3/8: diameter, disc wheel cars only 1958 on
headlamp rim remover 1959 cars on with wide headlamp rims
5/16”hex headed 1 1/8” long 10-32 machine screw for front dust seal removal- not listed in all parts lists and usually missing in otherwise complete kits

Tyre levers were discontinued sometime before 1958 but might have been in some later kits. Tool rolls in all but the early cars were black plastic with 5 pouches. There were several minor construction variants of these (white or black drawstring, drawstring loop vs. grommet, right or left hand orientation) and early TR4s and TR3Bs might have had the 'peach' colored rolls. Early TR2 tool roll patterns aren't clearly defined; the often cited factory photo was most likely an ad hoc assembly of on-hand tools used to represent the intended contents although it is quite possible that some tools of those variants might have been used in early TR2 kits which seem to have been accessory items. Examples are the screwdriver without the reinforced blade and the SSP adjustable spanners.

Combination tools would likely have been retained in early 'accessory' kits regardless of wheel type although the combo tool serves as a screwdriver, knave plate remover and tommy bar. Not perfectly clear is what would have been included with the base kit of an early wire wheeled car.

Tecalemit 2801 are seen in 1957 (& later) kits. Enots #1s are seen in early TR2 kits - the latter might be home market. Tecalemit 2802 greaseguns have been encountered in documented late kits such as a TR3B.

Feeler gauges are tough to find as well. early cars (pre Le Mans head) used a gauge that had the largest blade at .030 rather than .024. This change might have occurred earlier or later with overlap.

Finishes on TW tools, combo tools, tommy bars and box spanners can be plated bright or oil quench black sometimes with a light black paint wash. It's not uncommon for a mix of the two to be found in a kit although all bright kits are most common in 3-3A kits and black in earlier ones. Black seems to have been revived in the early/mid 1960s to some extent (lots of Spit/Herald stuff is black). Again no set rule can be defined safely.

• 3 weeks later...

The type of screwdriver you show is I believe is the correct type but obviously too long.

You can buy brand new traditional screwdrivers (they are really well made) and the length when ordering a new one is the blade length not the overall length.

I'll dig out the blade length of my original kit they can be found on T'internet: Marples or Thomas Flynn (Crown cabinet)

Alternatively I have a few pretty good used tool kits (various states of completeness) if you are interested I can add for sale on the TR site or let me know what you are after?

Edited by chittybb

The type of screwdriver you show is I believe is the correct type but obviously too long.

You can buy brand new traditional screwdrivers (they are really well made) and the length when ordering a new one is the blade length not the overall length.

I'll dig out the blade length of my original kit they can be found on T'internet: Marples or Thomas Flynn (Crown cabinet)

Alternatively I have a few pretty good used tool kits (various states of completeness) if you are interested I can add for sale on the TR site or let me know what you are after?

It came in the roll when I bought the car used in 1964, so perhaps it was changed in the 4 years prior to my ownership.. Tom