Camshaft and timing chain help

Hi

I've made a daft mistake. I wanted to adjust the valve clearances on my standard 2l 1980 dhc. Simple job, only needed two shims but I got a bit carried away and took the camshaft out without locking off the camshaft sprocket to the support bracket, as clearly described in my Haynes manual which I seem unable to read.

Consequently, the chain and sprocket dropped down a bit as I removed the camshaft and I believe the chain tensioner has popped out because I cannot get the sprocket back to the right level. If so, I have to take the timing cover off. Unless anyone has any other suggestions?

If I do that, I will take the opportunity to replace the chain, tensioner etc so it won't be a total waste of time. However, I now have another problem and hope for some advice please:

I am ready to remove the crank pulley. Having done that on a 4A and know how difficult it was I'm expecting to have trouble shifting the pulley bolt without moving the crank. Handbrake is on and car in gear, spark plugs in for max compression, but my worry is that as my camshaft is out and my valves are clearly independent of the crank now, I could really make my weekend if the crank moves. Should I lock the crank, and how? Or am I being over cautious? Also - can anyone please tell me what size the crank bolt is and whether it is normal thread or reverse.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Frank

Hi Frank

I have a pneumatic impact gun which should rattle the bolt free without moving the crank too much. If you don't have an air supply I can borrow a battery powered gun.

Andrew

Hi Frank,

As you have removed the camshaft all the valves will be up tight in the head, so no worries on that score. The crankshaft bolt is 32mm or 1 1/4 inch. Normal anti clockwise to undo. As Andrew W said, it should come of easily with an impact wrench, failing that use a breaker bar. When you order the new chain I would advise going for the more expensive (£20) german one rather than the £6 chinese version.

Andy

Thanks Andy / Andrew

Now I feel really dumb...

Of course the valves will be up in the head, thanks for putting me right Andy. I've no worries now and will have a go with what I've got. If no luck, thanks for the offer of the impact wrench Andrew (and maybe your hub puller!)

Frank