Torque setting for the big nut fixing the pump pulley to water pump spindle.

Hi, all:

I had a disastrous end to my hoped-for trip to rendezvous with MVC 575 last weekend.

After over 300 easy miles I came to an inglorious halt on the M2; the fan pulley on the water pump had fractured, breaking the fan belt and lunching the water pump (via the woodruff key which mangled the spindle).

Various remedial action was tried, to make progress notwithstanding, but to cut to the chase, I had to get relayed back up north. Boy, was I fed up...

Anyway, I've taken off the offending items from the car and have new parts on the way. Now...

Could someone please tell me what is the torque setting for the large nut which affixes the pulley to the water pump?

Thanks in advance.

Tim.

Hi Tim,

sorry to hear of your misfortunes.

If you're referring pulley to water pump spindle then it's 5/16"UNF and torqued to just 18 lb ft.

It's a favourite for folks to over-tighten . . . . to the potential detriment of pulley and pump alike.

Cheers

Alec