Sources of Original Used parts

Does anyone have some specific resources for online shopping (or otherwise) for original parts?

Part of my restoration planning is to get as original as possible and I do need a few bits and bobs.

There are likely some local things available if I start looking at some classic car events and so on, but I think global resources are there to be used.

As long as the parts are original and in working order, I'd be happy with it.

I have not made a full list yet, but I would like to perhaps post the main things I'd be looking for on here in the hope that someone could have a link to some of the items.

The kind of items would probably be common missing items (and therefor expensive), like a grille, temperature gauge, rearview mirror, steel master cylinder filler cap, tools, gnurled nut to reset odometer etc.

Also with something like the tools, my research seems to indicate that these may have some overlap to other British sportscars of the time.

Is this true?

Dirk

Pat in Dublin is selling up his stash of new and used original items.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/classified/1049/TR2-TR3-early-TR3A-interior-mirror-early-type-preused-unit

Send him a PM and ask.

Peter W

Hi Dirk,

work out your list and post it here on the Forum. Then you can edit out items as they turn up, and add new things as you discover you need them.

You might be pleasantly surprised at what Forumites can find, when the need arises, for our TR friends around the world.

Money isn't everything, rare parts can still change hands at reasonable prices when they're going to someone with the right car and the right attitude.

Shipping can be expensive, you'd do well to find someone in the UK for example who can receive small parts for you and then package them all into one big box for onward shipment to SA.

Interparcel are usually good value, and reliable via UPS or TNT - https://uk.interparcel.com/

Cheers

Alec

HI,

To check which parts you need, a few tips.

http://vintagetriumphregister.org/tr2/

scroll down , and youll find a very helpful list of details.

Teri ann's site can be helpful (on more subjects) to look at the correct tooling:

http://www.tr3a.info/Tools.htm

Of course you should have the complete collection of the Piggott books on the tr series ;)

You have the correct master cylinder, This is a cylinder cap i send to Glenn for MVC 575:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini-Metal-Master-Cylinder-Cap-59-63-x1-17H3723-brake-clutch-bmc-austin-/192114928871?hash=item2cbaf12ce7:m:m_skS8l50MXkNwtvUSmXaNg

ebay was for me a good source in finding parts, searching multiple country sites. they turn up different results.

the fun part begins !

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the pointers.

I have managed to get the grille off ebay, as well as a correct NOS rearview mirror, original metal master cylinder cap and 2 correct manifold clamps.

By the way the mirror source also has a NOS TR2 badge if anyone is looking for one.

So far the main visible incorrect items seem to be sorted out, making me much happier!

But now all the real work starts refurbishing anything with perished seals and rubbers.

Dirk

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

I have managed to find some items on my list, but as these things go, I have also managed to extend my list as I discover more and more little bits.

I am sure my list is not complete by a long stretch as I keep discovering little unoriginal bits. I will also remove items when I have them in hand.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone has a handle on some of these parts (or advice regarding sourcing old or if modern ones are indistinguishable still being manufactured the same way!)

For instance I have found that my TR has an electronic ignition put on the original distributor and been advised to keep it. I would like to have an original cap, leads and coil though. Perhaps for future fitting.

Please keep in mind that I have decided to repaint the car some time in future with a bare metal recondition, but not to restore the car to new. I'll keep everything that is working as is and try to replace broken and incorrect parts with original if possible/sensible.

The list for 19 June 2017 is:

1. Tenax posts for windscreen (partial. Need 5 original, extras useful if I can find)

2. Original roof Tenax fasteners TS5379O? Are these supposed to be baby type? Mine is "GHE" and "TENAX" text with a smooth top but diamond pattern side? Fits but seems new.

3. Sidescreen lift-a-dot pegs (Need 2, extras if I can find) New ones are too large for the fasteners and gets stuck.

4. Battery Clamp and J-bolts (Newly manufactured to original spec better fine?)

5. Distributor Cap and Leads ( Lucas DM2-V167-40403D is correct but cap isn't. Correct cap is brown?)(Sourced NOS cap. New Leads and connector set form Roadster Factory?)

6. Original Coil (Black - Lucas B12)(Sourced. Awaiting finalization)

7. Jaeger capillary temperature gauge (Fahrenheit) and tube (Sourced.)

8. Jaeger fuel gauge FG2530/20. (Sourced.)

9. Clips for temperature capillary tube to fuel line. (Sourced modern replacement)

10. Tools (Set) - (Perhaps not original to this car and as such not needed but could be useful. Was an option at this time)

11. Jack and wheel spanner

12. Acorn nuts for door pulls (Can just source a modern equivalent? Example of original?)(Sourced with pulls as modern set. Good enough repro)

13. Screws and washers for door panels(Can just source a modern equivalent?)

14. Original screws for original grab handle. (Using modern screws from Moss currently. Seems to work well but TR2 screws may be different from TR3+?)

15. Domed Screws for Sidescreen holders (2 but extras welcome)(Can just source a modern equivalent?)

16. Oil filter bowl in sea green? Mine is a turquoise colour? Serial? (Sourced. Need to agree on price)

17. Original Lucas P700 tripod headlights with surrounds. Worth trying for originals or simply get current wit "P700" text? (Sourced original.)

18. Original British Racing Green beading on the front sections only (All in front of the doors). Set or even partial will do. Even possible to get?

19. Original "AC" 4psi radiator cap?

Dirk

Edited by irrational

Dirk, see inline my comment.

Hi all.

I have managed to find some items on my list, but as these things go, I have also managed to extend my list as I discover more and more little bits.

I am sure my list is not complete by a long stretch as I keep discovering little unoriginal bits. I will also remove items when I have them in hand.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone has a handle on some of these parts (or advice regarding sourcing old or if modern ones are indistinguishable still being manufactured the same way!)

For instance I have found that my TR has an electronic ignition put on the original distributor and been advised to keep it. I would like to have an original cap, leads and coil though. Perhaps for future fitting.

Please keep in mind that I have decided to repaint the car some time in future with a bare metal recondition, but not to restore the car to new. I'll keep everything that is working as is and try to replace broken and incorrect parts with original if possible/sensible.

The list for 19 June 2017 is:

1. Baby? Tenax posts for windscreen (partial. Need 5 original, extras useful if I can find

2. Original roof Tenax fasteners TS5379O? Are these supposed to be baby type? Mine is "GHE" and "TENAX" text with a smooth top but diamond pattern side? Fits but seems new.

3. Sidescreen lift-a-dot pegs (Need 2, extras if I can find) New ones are too large for the fasteners and gets stuck.

4. Battery Clamp and J-bolts (Newly manufactured to original spec better?)

5. Distributor Cap and Leads ( Lucas DM2-V167-40403D is correct but cap isn't. Correct cap is brown?)

6. Original Coil (Black - Lucas B12) >> prepare for a high price ! you can find them on ebay, but as they are used on astons, rolls, etc they can fetch up t0 400 pounds.

7. Jaeger capillary temperature gauge (Fahrenheit) and tube (Sourced. Awaiting rebuild)

8. Jaeger fuel gauge FG2530/20.

9. Clips for temperature capillary tube to fuel line >>http://trf.zeni.net/TR2-TR3GB/127.php

10. Tools (Set) >> Again, very expensive. Use the link i already sent you to Teri-ann's site and try to complete a set using ebay and local sales: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-TR2-TOOL-KIT-READY-FOR-CONCOURSE-DE-ELEGANCE-COMPATIBLE-DORETTI-SWALLOW-/201941282071?hash=item2f04a36d17:g:nFMAAOSwuMZZCLkM

11. Jack and wheel spanner >> Jack is unobtainable: http://www.vtr.org/tr2-bg/042jackearly.jpg. I found one after years of searching, look at ebay or other sites. Actually there are 4 different types of jacks all with a handle and with thread. details differ in thickness and baseplate.

12. Acorn nuts for door pulls (Can just source a modern equivalent? Example of original?)

13. Original door pulls. Chains? Cable? Leather? What are they supposed to be? >> http://www.macysgarage.com/myweb6/Parts/other_tr2_3_parts.htm#TR2/3 Door Latch Pull Straps

14. Screws and washers for door panels(Can just source a modern equivalent?)>> see macys

15. Original screws for original grab handle. (Using modern screws from Moss currently. Seems to work well but TR2 screws may be different from TR3+?)>> screws are slotted. the grab handle itself differs between tr2 and later. tr2 are not chromed and straight

16. Domed Screws for Sidescreen holders (2 but extras welcome)(Can just source a modern equivalent?)

17. Oil filter bowl in sea green? Mine is a turquoise colour? Serial? (Sourced. Need to agree on price). Multiple colours were used, most of them black or seagreen. i would paint the current one.

18. Original Lucas p700 tripod headlights with surrounds. Worth trying for originals or simply get current wit "P700" text? >> The repro's are not that great, but would go for the p700 option. originals expensive.

19. Original British Racing Green beading on the front sections only (All in front of the doors). Or a set. Even possible to get? >> most of the beadings are replaced by stainless steel ones but painted in body color. the rubbers ones you can buy now give a wobbly line between the panels at the place of the bolts. rubbers ones can be sourced on VW beetle sites. stainless at the regular suppliers

Dirk

Edited by EdwinTiben

I am in the process of sorting out some spares which I will never use, so may have a few of the items on your list.

e.g. Coil (Lucas – screw terminals, with mounting bracket - B12 1 L O ER12V 554 45012D).

This came off an engine bought for my first TR in the 70s and was never used so is currently untested.

@Brian

Hi. That sounds great! My research shows that coil should be from May 1954 (The 554), making it the right one too. I think those coils are still positive earth? I still need to sort my car's electrics. But that will happen in a few years when I restore the body. At the moment there are definitely more wires and relays than there should be! If its not working, it should be refurbishable I expect.

@Edwin.

Thank you for the links. I have forgotten about Macy's. That craftsmanship looks a good standard. Finding matching material for my 62 year old vynide on the other hand may be tough. I think I may just use black for now. It won't look too out of place I think.

I am in 2 minds about the beading. My current is just bad because its half original (flattened) and half newer plastic(round). If the fronts were shorter I would have tried to get a 3-D print version in the correct profile. I can do that with the short wing piping, but the long front piece is too big for a normal printer. And the cost will be crazy! I know the metal is preferred and I would look at it if I can somehow shape it. Is the metal solid or hollow?

The jack and tools I'd still research. I did not realise there were so many jacks. I have read that its best not to actually use though. The toolkit, being an "option" I am not sure of. Unless it was a very common extra. Like the tonneau. I know my tonneau was not specced with the car, so was added later.